Hachette Mallard

doilum

A question for   who has built one.

Was the firebox blackhead a custom moulding / casting to account for the shape of the cab front? I won a box of bits from the bay of E which will eventually become Seagull. They included the RHD casting that was issued belatedly when they realized that the Flying Scotsman wasn't LHD in 1928.

I have solved the problem with fibreglass and filler and will alter the details to LHD in due time. I was just curious how this was dealt with at the time.

Whilst I am here, were there any known issues with the cab roof. I used the chunk of armour plating as a template to cut a new one from 0.3mm brass which is a little easier to form into the continuous curve (it is the same radius as a wine bottle). It will however require a fair bit of trimming to match the cab front.

Edited by doilum

Maybe I have answered my own question. I did a Google search and found a couple of old threads. The back head was a bespoke LHD item and the cab roof needs lots of castings. It turns out that the safety valve cover I have isn't the Hachette item. Never mind it will do. Next task: extract the block of wood!

IMG_20210926_100022.jpg.1a73cf551edd6fd706832fe06da3a5b9.jpgIMG_20210926_114211.jpg.0c8fd1bce3aa889a35b369d40c31f5a2.jpgIMG_20210926_120233.jpg.b52f4c03e6e70e9da7b87f6d88a6c45d.jpg

• Like 1

The block took a lot more effort to extract than anticipated. It wasn't pretty but it is safely out with zero collateral damage. I found a great image of the inside of Mallard's cab. There appears to be a clear space between the firebox back and the cab sides. The ex A3 casting is almost an interference fit. Is the correct Hachette Mallard item worth pursuing (which issue did it come with?) or do I take as big rasp to the one I have already begun to convert to LHD and pointy nose?

Many thanks for that. I am running with plan A which is a slimmed down white metal casting from the Scotsman. Perhaps if I had all the pukka cab fittings it might be worth chasing a correct original, but as most of the detail has to be scratch built anyway the slimmed down item will do. 

Is it a rude to suggest that the Hachette cab might be just a little too pointed? Don't get me wrong, it looks good and is a superb fit, but I have spent the last couple of days with my copy of Yeadons open on the bench leading me to wonder if the cab front should be just a tad flatter?

Meanwhile, I am working on the detail and have already painted the cab inside. Once in, it isn't coming out due to the raised floor sections and cab seats.