Chinnor runs Autocoach

Baldyoldgit

I popped down to see it at Risborough on Saturday, saw my uncle on it who was the guard on the last passenger train in 1957.

When open the Watlington Branch was never operated with autotrains the loco ran round at each end as the locos were not auto fitted using 2021, 57xx or 74xx locos. Also the coach is facing the wrong way from when it did when the line was open, as the driving end of the coach faced Watlington.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2021 at 09:33, David Bigcheeseplant said:

When open the Watlington Branch was never operated with autotrains the loco ran round at each end as the locos were not auto fitted using 2021, 57xx or 74xx locos. Also the coach is facing the wrong way from when it did when the line was open, as the driving end of the coach faced Watlington.  

I'm confused - how can the autocoach have been either way round if one was never used?

I'll have to go for a ride - it's not very far; last time I went it was a round trip in a bubble car.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I read the post to mean that autocaoches were used, but in non-auto mode. But, maybe not.

I think that was the case, as there are pictures of auto-coaches attached to 57XX panniers which were never auto-fitted

https://www.railwaystationphotographs.co.uk/watlington-railway-station-photoprinces-risborough-line-great-western-rly-3-25967-p.asp

A possible reason is that auto coaches had steps which could serve halts with low or no platforms.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1