Conflat wagon usage

The Dapol Conflat wagon (7mm scale)  bears the legend “To be retained for GW containers”.

This seems pretty self explanatory ie the barring of carriage of another company’s container, but it made me wonder about another possible related use…………..

I appreciate that a variety of “flat” or low sided wagons existed to carry appropriate loads, but is there any evidence that Conflats could, on occasion,  be used for  this type of traffic?

With all the fixing points might it have been tempting to press such wagons into use or would this be a formal “no-no” in the GWR regulations and hence did not take place?

very interested to hear colleagues comments

thanks

Adrian

Adrian,

They were sometimes used empty next to long overhanging loads - eg, conflat - macaw (bogie bolster) - conflat with the ends of the load 'floating' above the conflat.

I can't remember any photos of them with something other than a container on them - but that isn't to say it didn't happen (away from Swindon's official gaze).

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Conversely, 1-plank wagons usually carry a branding to the effect that they are 'not to be loaded with containers', as the temptation to do so if a proper conflat must have been strong.  The reason is that the container could not be securely chained down as a Conflat has chain pockets for this purpose; photographic evidence can often be found that the instruction was ignored for short distance work at low speed.  Containers also ended up in 3-plank and 5-plank sized wagons, but this caused problems if there was not a crane at the destination depot to lift them out, or one with insufficient luffing or winching capacity to clear the wagon sides.  One can assume that a suitable crane was available at the dispatching depot, or else how did they get in there...

Apart from the 'load runner' function for end overhanging loads mentioned by Will, and use as track circuit runners with 03 and 04 shunting locos on station pilot duties, a Conflat was not much use for anything other than containers, as there was no means of securing other loads of of constraining them in motion.  End loading of vehicles was difficult as there was no 'bridge' from the end loading dock as formed by the end drop doors of one- or 3-plankers. 

A conflat with a container could conversely be pressed into use as a normal van, especially if refridgeration or end loading doors were needed and nothing else was to hand.  Control would keep an eye on this sort of thing to make certain that the wagon and the container were not unduly delayed at the destination when they were needed elsewhere, a good excuse for tail traffic or even an ad hoc Control special on a BLT when the pickup has already finished it's work for the day!

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain I've seen a Conflat A carrying a compressor from the Compair works near Camborne.

Just found it on Andy Kirkham's site:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10419662884/in/album-72157636828119615/

Perversely, the Associated Octel plant at Hayle despatched Bromine in tank containers on (modified) Lowfits. The modification seemed to consist of a not-very-substantial wooden frame.

• Like 1

One thing to realise is they didn't have enough of them so they were almost exclusively used for containers. Maybe that's also why the GW didn't want anyone else using them. They were probably worried about not getting them back.

Look at photos of containers and many are in three and four plank wagons. The LMS for example altered loads of old LNWR wagons into container wagons.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmscontainer

Obviously later they were used for other uses as they began to become obsolete due to modern containers appearing.

Jason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I'm pretty certain I've seen a Conflat A carrying a compressor from the Compair works near Camborne.

Just found it on Andy Kirkham's site:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10419662884/in/album-72157636828119615/

That view is April 1974 by when I assume that there was less demand for Conflat As for carrying small containers. The decks of the two in the photo appear to have minor modifications to enable the compressors to be secured safely which makes me wonder if they had been allocated their own TOPS code.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2