WD 2-10-0

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Holby Railway said:

Does anybody know where i might lay hands on a WD 2-10-0 in 00 gauge, i got the 2-8-0 but its the bigger brother i really want ?

There’s a 4mm scale kit by DJH which is your only ‘easy’ option.

K39

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3008

You’ll need to budget around £400 to include wheels/motor/gears. And if you’re commissioning a builder to do it at least that again, very likely quite a bit more.

6A25122A-7F37-42B5-B901-61B596ECDD69.jpeg.8abd05d22486bce913d5d715137eba20.jpeg
This is one built, they make a very good model of the prototype.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PMP said:

There’s a 4mm scale kit by DJH which is your only ‘easy’ option.

K39

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3008

You’ll need to budget around £400 to include wheels/motor/gears. And if you’re commissioning a builder to do it at least that again, very likely quite a bit more.

6A25122A-7F37-42B5-B901-61B596ECDD69.jpeg.8abd05d22486bce913d5d715137eba20.jpeg
This is one built, they make a very good model of the prototype.

a little out of my price bracket im afraid, thanks anyway, i was afraid i may not find one, i remember around 15 years ago i saw one but the money wasnt available and my project was still a long way off - thanks anyway

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Holby Railway said:

a little out of my price bracket im afraid, thanks anyway, i was afraid i may not find one, i remember around 15 years ago i saw one but the money wasnt available and my project was still a long way off - thanks anyway

You’re welcome, realistically a RTR version is likely to be around £200 for a contemporary tooling. Keep an eye out on eBay and similar sites like auction houses, you may get lucky.

32 minutes ago, Londontram said:

There's at least 4 livery options 

WD green

WD blue

BR early cycling lion 

BR late  lion and dart board

It would be a very popular loco as could be seen all over during its working life.

Errrr?

All over Scotland - at a stretch - but surely very uncommon in England and Wales; at least during the BR period?

Checking - all bar one were in Scotland in 1961, and the single exception was at Carlisle!

CJI.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Errrr?

All over Scotland - at a stretch - but surely very uncommon in England and Wales; at least during the BR period?

Checking - all bar one were in Scotland in 1961, and the single exception was at Carlisle!

CJI.

With Kitchener and Gordon at Longmoor, but not a sight on the Civvy lines [apart from St Trinians Great Train Robbery]

They were on loan to the LMS with the LNER having a few. This is more relevant to the LNER ones, but you get the idea.

The first batch of one hundred was delivered between 1943 and 1944, whilst the second batch of fifty was delivered in 1945. During running-in, the LNER received thirteen of the first batch, and twenty of the second batch on loan. The locomotives from the first batch were transferred to the LMS in May 1944, and the locomotives of the second batch were handed back to the War Department (WD) at the end of 1946. All were allocated to March, although occasionally they would move to other sheds in the GE and GN districts.

Of the original batch of 100, one was allocated to the Longmoor Military Railway, and twenty were shipped out to the Middle East. The LMS received the remaining 79 until they were needed in continental Europe in late 1944. A second batch entered service between March and September 1945. One of these (No. 73797) was also allocated to Longmoor, but none of the remainder entered LNER stock lists.

https://www.lner.info/locos/O/WD_Austerity.php

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

90763, which was the only English one, was borrowed from Kingmoor for a while to try out on the Bidston - Shotton iron ore trains. It was also photographed on Walton shed in Liverpool about this time. Otherwise they rarely ventured far outside Scotland.

At least one ventured pretty far away from the Scottish Region:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124446949@N06/25358435297/in/photolist-ECQBkF-2ipeB1E-eD71pt-Myetbf-oMUsor-8RExvo-nDEGMd-NhaVsJ-oUUeuY-2MM56v-yyLGXs-haN3v3-8Win8T-X64NA2-qtpU15-2kNS3Sx-pK9LPp-KhuA6L-wnW58Y-NiNRwS-QRD5Ly-Jtqiqe-DaPzFt-f694Ys-8dwt4L

(see comments for the location)

• Informative/Useful 2

Yes. They did trials on all the regions. One was even used in the 1948 Locomotive Exchange Trials so an excuse to run one with a Dynamometer Car

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Locomotive_Exchange_Trials

This doesn't mention 90766.

90757 was based briefly at Old Oak Common for trials in July 1948. It was also for a short time based at Doncaster (August 1952) and Ashford (September 1952). 

90764 was based at the Rugby Testing Station from August 1950 until March 1951 having previously been allocated to the CME at Rugby in February 1949.

Trials were undertaken with the locomotives on the Southern and Western Regions.

90750 on the Western Region – September 1948 to February 1949

90757 on the Southern Region – August 1948 to February 1949

90764 on the Southern Region – March 1949 to August 1950

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/8f-90750-90774-2-10-0-mos-wd-austerity/

Possibly they were offered more and turned them down as unsuitable?

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/09/2021 at 15:09, Holby Railway said:

Does anybody know where i might lay hands on a WD 2-10-0 in 00 gauge, i got the 2-8-0 but its the bigger brother i really want ?

By coincidence, I saw elsewhere, only a couple of days ago, that Bristol Models once did a 4mm scale WD 2-10-0. I suspect that whilst they're not quite as rare as rocking horse droppings, to find a kit, either built or unbuilt, might be a challenge...

43 minutes ago, MarkC said:

By coincidence, I saw elsewhere, only a couple of days ago, that Bristol Models once did a 4mm scale WD 2-10-0. I suspect that whilst they're not quite as rare as rocking horse droppings, to find a kit, either built or unbuilt, might be a challenge...

I think that was the one designed to fit on a Jouef chassis.

The problem with Bristol Models* is ISTR they had a pretty poor reputation. Wasn't it them that made a Manor that wasn't much like a Manor?

Now I know to keep my eyes open for a DJH version. Not a loco I've considered previously but sometimes you see DJH kits for a reasonable price at shows. But when I get one, a RTR manufacturer will likely announce one....

*Careful Googling "Bristol Models" :O  :prankster:

Jason