Christchurch Model Railway Exhibition - 9th & 10th October 2022

CMRC Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in collating information from recent shows about attendance, compared with pre-Covid years.   The aim would be to help inform other clubs about what to expect or plan for when reaching decisions.   Can you quantify anything from the Christchurch Show please e.g. the percentage change in attendance compared with the last equivalent show?  Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen Wolstenholme

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

I am interested in collating information from recent shows about attendance, compared with pre-Covid years.   The aim would be to help inform other clubs about what to expect or plan for when reaching decisions.   Can you quantify anything from the Christchurch Show please e.g. the percentage change in attendance compared with the last equivalent show?  Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen Wolstenholme

I have spoken to a couple of exhibition managers (not this event, I've just chosen it as the most recent of the numerous topics where you are copy and pasting the same question) who are wondering what your motives are. Are you representing a club, society or event or closely linked to one? If so a little more openness would probably give you a better response. If not, they're wondering who you are, why you need to know and what you're going to be doing with any information. After all, such information and their bearing on club finances are very much their business.

• Agree 1

I am a 7mm modeller and GOG member.  I am writing in a wholly personal capacity.   I have been greatly disappointed about the cancellation of some 7mm events and have been using forums to publish links to factual information about Covid and how the national events industry is protecting people at major shows (non railway).   I hope to boost modellers confidence so that traders and exhibition managers have the confidence to restart shows, knowing that there is a pent up demand and that society needs to find ways to cope with a health issue that is not going to go away.   I can see benefits in attempting to quantify any changes in attendance, rather than rely on hearsay and subjective comments like "attendance was down a bit on Sunday".  Such information would need a lot of caveats about interpretation.  But it could help other clubs and Societies as they grapple with the problem of whether to risk making a loss or have a show cancelled.  I would share the information on this Forum and 7mm ones.  The information I am seeking would ideally be expressed as a percentage change in attendance compared with pre-covid.  Financial information would be no use and is not sought..  I would be happy if anyone more well known took on the job of collating such information.  I am puzzled if such information is regarded as secret or commercially confidential.  I am doing this to help others but am not going to burst a gut if cooperation is not forthcoming.