Heljan to re-paint WMD Railbus as Wickham Lab 20

kitmasterbloke

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, kitmasterbloke said:

So Hattons have announced that Heljan will produce the standard WMD railbus in the colours of the totally dis-similar Wickham railbus DB999507 Laboratory 20. And at only £152 each. What is the point of that?? Would you buy one? I certainly would not, and I'm a fan of Derby RTC stock.

do you mean this one..

Heljan 8712 Waggon und Maschinenbau Railbus DB999507 "Lab 20" in BR research department red and blue

because its been done once before, and long sold out as this one…

Heljan 87101 RTC "Laboratory 20" Modelzone Exclusive Limited Edition. 

2nd time round if it is.. someone must like it.. ones for sale for £400 on ebay, 2 have sold, one at £310.. so its desirable to some.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Personally no.

But things that are similar to real items do seem to sell, as do things that are totally fictitious.

The NCB Sentinel made for Model Rail by Dapol for example. Sold so well they even did it in O Gauge.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/60090/7S-005-007-Dapol-Sentinel-Steam-Locomotive-number-14-in-NCB

You've also got the fictional LNER W1 4-6-4s by Hornby. One with a name it never carried and one painted apple green which it only carried on a cigarette card.

Jason

If the Wickham railbus was produced in 00 scale I would definitely buy one. Can't remember who, but someone produced a whitemetal body kit of the Bristol version  years ago. Even more exclusive than the others, only two, rather than the others in batches of five. There must be some clever person out there who could print a few body/chassis kits for these elusive types. Who will rise to the challenge then?

Ever hopeful!

Tod

5 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

If the Wickham railbus was produced in 00 scale I would definitely buy one. Can't remember who, but someone produced a whitemetal body kit of the Bristol version  years ago. Even more exclusive than the others, only two, rather than the others in batches of five. There must be some clever person out there who could print a few body/chassis kits for these elusive types. Who will rise to the challenge then?

Ever hopeful!

Tod

I'm told was an MTK kit apparently.

On 28/09/2021 at 20:56, adb968008 said:

do you mean this one..

Heljan 8712 Waggon und Maschinenbau Railbus DB999507 "Lab 20" in BR research department red and blue

because its been done once before, and long sold out as this one…

Heljan 87101 RTC "Laboratory 20" Modelzone Exclusive Limited Edition. 

2nd time round if it is.. someone must like it.. ones for sale for £400 on ebay, 2 have sold, one at £310.. so its desirable to some.

Well that is interesting and from a commercial point of view would justify re-running it.

• 1 month later...

I'm all for fantasy items, whatever sells.  The sooner a manufacturer gets a return on their investment, i.e. the tooling, the sooner they will produce additional new models. 

I'd be more concerned about the non-fantasy items, get them right, and I'm happy.

I'm still waiting on that Kernow D6xx, in Railfreight livery, with Plymouth Laira plates...  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1