Little Engines4mm Thompson O1

• RMweb Premium

I have to confess that I am that person that won this very nice looking kit on 'that auction site'! I was inspired by the O1 on Blackgill (see old Forum) and the fact that I now own an EM layout depicting Trafalgar Yard (Quayside Branch) and just could not resist the challenge of doing this O1 in EM so that it can be seen visiting Heaton whilst not occupied on the Consett route! :rolleyes:

Has anyone built one of these, know someone that has, or owns one? If so, what do I have to beware of; any tips?

Also, does Isinglass' O1 include details of the Westinghouse Pumps position and related pipe runs so I don't have to rely on some good but not side on pics and instruction sheet drawing which may or may not be accurate?

Hope you can help?

Sincerely, Big Bongo. :O

Guest Max Stafford

When you find what you're looking for, don't forget to build the kit in public (ie here) - like-minded souls will be watching closely! ;)

Sincerely,

Jay Twentyseven.

• RMweb Gold

When you find what you're looking for, don't forget to build the kit in public (ie here) - like-minded souls will be watching closely! wink.gif

Sincerely,

Jay Twentyseven.

too right, there were a lot of O1s at Annesley ......

• RMweb Premium

too right, there were a lot of O1s at Annesley ......

Good grief; I'm not certain I can cope with that although I can make the camera lie! I will take pics though and if things go reasonably (or not, as that might also be useful) I will attempt the great picture show.

Oh to have seen Annesley in it's heyday; I can only dream of what was as I splutter past on the old Robin Hood Express.:blink:

Thanks for the encouragement chaps! Oh yes, Redgate. You may find me on your Mansfield doorstep begging for assistance! <_<

Sincerely, Bigger Bongo.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief; I'm not certain I can cope with that although I can make the camera lie! I will take pics though and if things go reasonably (or not, as that might also be useful) I will attempt the great picture show.

Oh to have seen Annesley in it's heyday; I can only dream of what was as I splutter past on the old Robin Hood Express.:blink:

Thanks for the encouragement chaps! Oh yes, Redgate. You may find me on your Mansfield doorstep begging for assistance! <_<

Sincerely, Bigger Bongo.

Here is the first picture.....I'll get my coat!:

• RMweb Premium

Beware the footplate which is pretty flimsy. I used the chassis as a jig and all was well.

You really need a photo of a prototype since the WH piperuns seem to be different on each loco.

Ah hah. My old mate from BRM site - Hi Foxy. Thanks for that. When I opened the box as seen in the picture ( yes, I can just about cope with that) at first I couldn't find a footplate (so I thought) and then there were the two weeny bits of white metal. WHAT a difference to those lovely DJH lumps. Yup, I'll use your useful tip and I do have a good pic of 63712, but only the right side 3/4 front. Thanks.

If you need a laugh keep your eyes on this post as I could be posting pics as suggested. :blink:

Sincerely, F. Limsybits.

I built one a good few years ago. The main challenge was to get frames, running plate and boiler all in the same horizontal plane. A little packing/filing might be needed to achieve this at the smokebox end. I did'nt get the cab truly vertical on one side. I should have checked everything for squareness, but they looked a little knocked about in later years - well thats my story!

Good luck!

Not sure if this will help or not...Can't take the credit for building it, but I do own one.

Got to be one of my all time favourite locos. This one was struggling for a while, so I had Mozzer of this parish fit a new motor/gearbox combination. I've added a Zimo decoder and a fair bit of lead to increase the weight. It's now a very smooth runner and the weight/low gearing combination means it will pull anything you can throw at it.

I can't comment on dimensional accuracy, but it looks like an O1 to me......

post-6950-12567510476176_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if this will help or not...Can't take the credit for building it, but I do own one.

Got to be one of my all time favourite locos. This one was struggling for a while, so I had Mozzer of this parish fit a new motor/gearbox combination. I've added a Zimo decoder and a fair bit of lead to increase the weight. It's now a very smooth runner and the weight/low gearing combination means it will pull anything you can throw at it.

I can't comment on dimensional accuracy, but it looks like an O1 to me......

post-6950-12567510476176_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much. Oh yes.....if mine comes anywhere near this standard I shall be VERY pleased! NICE. :)

I've already decided to have a really good think about the motor/gearbox combination. What's yours by the way?

Also ta very much dibateg - I think the footplate seems a thing that several have had to take care with.:angry:

ATB y'all. PR36E GC

• RMweb Premium

I was afraid you were going to ask me that...icon_redface.gif

From memory it was a high level gearbox, probably 60-1 and a Mashima Motor. May be worth while dropping Mozz a pm just to be sure.

Will do; high level seem to know what they are about and Dave Alexander rates them too.

Ta, Phil.

Archived