The Chaldrons, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Super Fran, I’m looking for something generic for my Peckett plank ;) 

Also will the magnet NEM coupling be available as a separate pack if we want to convert other stock to it?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Super Fran, I’m looking for something generic for my Peckett plank ;) 

Also will the magnet NEM coupling be available as a separate pack if we want to convert other stock to it?

Thanks @PaulRhB, we are considering the magnetic couplings as a separate pack should the interest be there?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Moderators

Now then Fran; I had no conceivable need for these whatsoever (they should be steel bodied) for a project. Until I thought Earl of Durham could be Earl of Dudley and the Pontop and Jarrow markings could lose the J for the Pensnett Railway. Bugger.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

should the interest be there?

Well it is ‘here’ so over to the rest of you ;) I’d made my own version for Rocket but an NEM socket version would save gluing to other wagons and probably be more secure than my homemade bodge. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Before this topic gets too deep, I'm going to thank Phil @sandwich station for the loan of the Chilton Iron Works book on the Chaldrons many, many moons ago, when this project was just a pipe dream. I thought he might have forgotten all about it and I could snaffle it permanently, but now we've let the cat out of the bag, I guess I'll have to return it :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Three packs ordered!  But will you do the NER 20T Hoppers before I build my Slaters kits????

Build them anyway. They are totally out of area for me, but I made up a small batch for a late friend a few years ago. One of the best-designed and most enjoyable wagon kits I've ever tackled.

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Superb announcement.

2 packs ordered. Not prototypical for Kirkmellington (South Ayrshire) but what the heck, they'll look great alongside my Hudson tippers (Rt Models kits) and growing fleet of industrial locos.

For those of us that will convert to EM, is the axle a standard diameter for drop in from the likes of Mr Gibson?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Also to just point out we launched these yesterday and 10% of the run has already pre-sold. They arent hanging around by the looks of it!

Cheers!

Fran 

Shouldn't we be telling people not to panic buy @Accurascale Fran?

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Well fellows, that came out of left field. brilliant!!

,.........so which of the locos in the video will you be making:angel::girldevil:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Now, some time ago I started a spoof chaldron thread - chiefly to relieve the tension of ambiguous feelings I had about the Hattons generic carriages:

Although that was all very much in a spirit of levity, one point that was mentioned was the dimensional disorientation suffered by an 00 model of an inside-framed vehicle - the back-to-back of the wheelsets is scale 10" less than that of the prototype; consequently the frames are closer together than they should be by at least that much. For most inside-framed vehicles - chiefly locomotives - the fudge is tolerable because the width of the vehicle is defined by the footplate, valences, etc. For a chaldron wagon, the problem becomes acute because of the turn-under of the body side to meet the main frame timers - this inwards slope becoming significantly steeper on the model than on the real thing, assuming the top part of the body is modelled to scale width. Furthermore, since the longitudinal frame timbers extend to form the dumb buffers, these are at least 10" closer together than they should be. This, I think, will become a significant visual problem if these wagons are put alongside the locomotives that worked them, with their additional buffers, or with other wagons equipped to buffer up to them, i.e. NER hopper wagons:

image.png.41d30f936206dc64281da781076511e9.png

So I'd interested to know what the Accurascale design team's views on this dilemma are?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

Good on yers, you Dublin boys  (and men of Kent).  Please buy yourselves copious amounts of alcohol to consume this coming weekend.

Lovely wheels but  (there's always a but) a question that has to be asked:

Do the wagons scale out at approx. 27mm (max. top width) or have they been narrowed along with the chassis to accommodate the OO wheel-sets whilst keeping the wheel flange to body side relationship in proportion?

And another. Nice touch including the cow with the Stella chaldrons. Will they be included in the other Chaldron packs?

Smashing announcement! Hope you follow it up with a Lewin loco or the Head Wrightson Vertical boiler.

Guess I better start making up some P4 hexagonal axles.  :smile_mini:

Crossed post with Compound2632 who mentions the same "dilemma".

51536781875_03f27739a4_b.jpgWheels and hexagonal axle set from a abandoned 19th century chauldron  (chaldron) wagon. by Porcy Mane, on Flickr

51534857537_eb15e90b7b_b.jpgChauldron Wagon. Tanfield Railway, 14th. October 2018. by Porcy Mane, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
To acknowledge crossed post.
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Although that was all very much in a spirit of levity, one point that was mentioned was the dimensional disorientation suffered by an 00 model of an inside-framed vehicle - the back-to-back of the wheelsets is scale 10" less than that of the prototype; consequently the frames are closer together than they should be by at least that much.

I'd also be interested to hear how Accurascale have approached this regarding EM/P4 conversion and whether it is possible. They are lovely looking models but maybe this is one prototype that is physically impossible to design for easy re-gauging?

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Pillar said:

I'd also be interested to hear how Accurascale have approached this regarding EM/P4 conversion and whether it is possible. They are lovely looking models but maybe this is one prototype that is physically impossible to design for easy re-gauging?

It seems to me that a new tooling would be required for each gauge, bringing the frame timbers out as far as the back-to-back permits. Just fitting wheelsets to the wide back-to-back would result in even greater absurdity of appearance. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

What a brilliant think to have done.  Well done.  I am sure the release will be a well-deserved success; count me in.

:dancer:

DSCN0303.JPG.0e454d95e355ef8ad1169db9529c8c7a.JPG

I'm going to set my P&J micro layout before 1911 (so I don't have to set fire to the models right after I've bought them!).

17485192_blackhouseinclinebetweenBirtleyblackhouse.jpg.f3fee521ec6c8b2fc2c0751f100eb150.jpg

2072666352_Burnopfieldcolliery01.jpg.c7edd180789d347acd5cf469876aa094.jpg 

323830597_DiptonDelightColliery.PJRblackwaggons.jpg.c3b5c0ad2b71fef421653cd08cdfc819.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

So now, to expand on that a little, and explain our approach.

The CAD was created true to scale, in all aspects bar the wheel sets, and all the usual detail amendments were made as we would normally. With the CAD correct, the 00 wheel sets were introduced, which highlighted the areas that clashed, and from here everything was gradually altered, not just to keep to the gauge, but also to maintain the correct aspects of the wagons. Where the alterations have taken place to keep the wagons looking correct is largely irrelevant in this instance, what matters is that we have kept as close to the originals as is possible in the circumstances, to create a model that is proportioned correctly and which maintains the inherent look of the wagons. Rest assured, we have not sacrificed 1/1000th of a mm where we have not had to!

An honest and interesting answer, thank-you. But I remain curious as to the compromises that have been made - are the wagons of scale length but reduced overall width?

32 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

At the end of the day, it was either take this approach or not make a RTR Chaldron wagon at all. We felt that this era of modelling interest needs support, so we decided to plough on and bring an iconic wagon type to market. Perhaps it wont be for everyone, but if it creates more interest in this era then it is beneficial for all modellers of this persuasion. 

Absolutely. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1