Mark 1 & 2 Coaching Stock 2nd edition Hugh Longworth

602Squadron

• RMweb Premium

May be better queried direct with Crecy ?

But given the current state of the world with Covid and other related disruptions to transport and manufacturing processes of all types, delays are surely inevitable however frustrating they become.

16 hours ago, 602Squadron said:

I see Crecy has again postponed publication of the 2nd edition of Hugh Longworth's Mk 1 & 2 Coaching Stock, until the end of April 2022, so now 2 years after the original date. Is it ever going to appear?

Yes, I saw that aswell. I was a bit disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Crecy, who replied that they have been experiencing "unprecedented delays" to their publication schedule, with books taking over two months to get from the printers due to supply chain issues, lorry driver shortages and the recent petrol shortage. Because of this they have stopped sending books to print for the rest of this year as there is no guarantee they will be available in time for Christmas, and in order that they can plan with these delays in mind for 2022. They have also commented that there is no particular issue with the 2nd edition of the book, and that they hope to be able to meet the revised schedules for 2022.

This is fine, and I understand the difficulties that the current situation is causing, but it doesn't really address why the original publication date was postponed from April to September 2020, then again to September 2021 and yet again to April (originally May) 2022. Still, I guess it is what it is, and we'll just have to see whether the latest revised date can be met.

Edited by 602Squadron
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You have answered your own question as to why.

Many firms have been experiencing problems with the supply chain for over 12 months. That Crecy have now taken a decision to not send anything else to the printers illustrates they were probably hoping the situation would improve hence moving the dates back. However they have come to the conclusion that things are not improving so have stopped sending things. 

I'm not quite sure what advantage 'knowing' would have and it would use quite a bit of their time explaining something which at the end of the day is a commercial decision. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

From our perspective, yes there are delays and increased costs being passed on very quickly to us all as publishers just now. My view is this is unlikely to go into reverse so we are still sending titles for print even though the promised delivery dates from the printers and binders keep shifting. Hence we are just saying December 2021 as release dates on some of our new titles, even though the original promised delivery date was 9 November 2021! It does mean we are taking risks on the RRP of titles though.

We just need to work through whatever challenges appear before us all once again, this has been a problem throughout the last year or so due to effects caused via the pandemic. I like the motto "tough times don't last, tough folk do".

Like all manufacturers we hope to take delivery of our new products in time for the Christmas season, but if they turn up late it is not the end of the world, although it does affect cash flows of course.

We expect to publish a greatly increased number of titles ourselves in 2022 and wish Crecy success too.

Kevin

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Everyone

I can confirm that this book is finally being put to bed now as we speak and will be off to the printers soon.  From my perspective this has given me more time getting extra information in, and the book is a major upgrade from the first edition, with a lot more specific information, colour throughout and redrawn diagrams.

Crecy has been facing a lot of difficulties getting things through from printers.  But I do get the impression that they respond to customer feedback and this does inform their priorities as they move ahead.  So if you want to see more railway books from them (and indeed any more of my books reprinted), then drop them a line.

Also let me know if there is anything you would like me to turn my attention to...

Hugh Longworth

Author

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hugh Longworth said:

Hi Everyone

I can confirm that this book is finally being put to bed now as we speak and will be off to the printers soon.  From my perspective this has given me more time getting extra information in, and the book is a major upgrade from the first edition, with a lot more specific information, colour throughout and redrawn diagrams.

Crecy has been facing a lot of difficulties getting things through from printers.  But I do get the impression that they respond to customer feedback and this does inform their priorities as they move ahead.  So if you want to see more railway books from them (and indeed any more of my books reprinted), then drop them a line.

Also let me know if there is anything you would like me to turn my attention to...

Hugh Longworth

Author

If you happened to produce something showing the history and numbers of pre-grouping stock prior to British Railways for the LNER< specifically ex-GER stock I'd buy it. Kind of like your superb Pre-Nationalisation book but focussing on stock withdrawn prior to nationalisation :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Will this actually be a revised edition, or just a reprint?
The supposed revised edition of BR Steam Loco Allocations didn't look very "revised" to me, with the same typos and errors as the original.

The blurb says 'fully revised'

http://www.crecy.co.uk/br-mark-1-and-mark-2-coaching-stock?osCsid=63606e4ff1dfdea7d5667900de074ff3

"This is a fully revised and updated edition of Hugh Longworth’s classic work on BR Mk1 and Mk2 coaches. Continued research has brought to light much additional information, particularly from the 1960s. The content has been completely reviewed for this new edition and all known errors corrected. Updated to December 2019, colour photos have been added and all the diagrams have been redrawn to a higher standard.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

ISBN: 9781910809754

Binding: Hardback

Dimensions: 292mm x 216mm

Pages: 305

Photos/Illus: Over 150 images

This product will be in stock on Friday 25. March, 2022."

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Fingers crossed then.

I've bought all of Hugh's books; including all the different editions. The BR Steam Loco Allocation book was supposed to be a revised edition, but if someone can show me any corrections, I'd be very much appreciated. I was very disappointed with it (see my review on Amazon), as usually Hugh's stuff is top notch. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi @Peter Kazmierczak

The new Mark 1 and Mark 2 book is fully revised as per the blurb.  Latest I've heard that it should be out in early March.

With regard to the Steam allocations book, I did provide a few corrections to that before it went to print, but I was surprised as anyone when the blurb came out describing it the way it did.  I think Crecy wanted to put their mark on what was a previously an Ian Allan book.  They gave it a brand new cover in their house style, and a brand new ISBN number.  But as far as I was concerned it was an updated amendment.

A lot has changed in the new coach book as I have incorporated a lot of missing information, courtesy of the late Richard Casserley, and the whole book has been refreshed.

Thanks for your continued support.  It means a lot to get feedback, as most of the time I am working on stuff by myself, hoping it will be of use to others also.

Hugh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for the clarification Hugh, much appreciated.

With all the lockdowns it's been difficult/impossible to physically look at books before purchase. That's why I was so miffed at the Steam Allocations book. I feel it's beholden on publishers to go into greater detail now about their products online, so informed choices can be made.

If you need any help with corrections for the Steam Allocation book, just let me know. 

What next, Hugh? A diesel loco allocation book would be nice...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gary H said:

Please excuse my ignorance but will this book include all running numbers of the MK1 & MK2's that were built or more of a pictorial publication, or even both??

This is a page from the previous edition:

20220124_175930.jpg.33a66f2c2af5864cfd6f0c3b7dcbb483.jpg

The format is tables by original as built or converted number subdivided into lot numbers with all technical info, renumbering, allocations where known and ultimate fate along with a drawing of the individual type in each lot.

There are some photos scattered throughout but the tables of data is the most important part.

I believe the forthcoming new edition updates this and also I think I read that the drawings are being redone too

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

This is a page from the previous edition:

20220124_175930.jpg.33a66f2c2af5864cfd6f0c3b7dcbb483.jpg

The format is tables by original as built or converted number subdivided into lot numbers with all technical info, renumbering, allocations where known and ultimate fate along with a drawing of the individual type in each lot.

There are some photos scattered throughout but the tables of data is the most important part.

I believe the forthcoming new edition updates this and also I think I read that the drawings are being redone too

Thanks John. This is excellent, just what I'm looking for!!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Book seems to be out "earlier than expected "according to the newsletter from MDS books I received on Friday. 

Hopefully  Mr Strathwood will be receiving a delivery soon and advise when hes ready lighten your wallet. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Does this book offer anything over the Parking Mk1, and Harris Mk2 books?

Steven B.

Sorry, not much help to you as Ive not seen those.