Progress on Yeovil

Laurie2mil

Thanks Jerry. I thought I was posting on “what’s on my workbench” as I’m not planning a regular blog (age advances and you can see how much there is to do!)
Still, it’s done now so I’ll try and use it when there’s a particular development that might be of interest. 

Thank you to everyone who has looked, and reacted. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A lovely bit of work, Laurie - I hadn't realised that the aim was a fully modelled(?) Pen Mill as well as 'Town. One of the advantages of the somewhat odd* railway history of Yeovil - especially in 2mm - gives the opportunity to represent an interconnected system. 

Adam

* If you're not familiar with it: three different railways - which gave rise to, at one point, five different stations (ok, not all passenger stations, but still) -  sort of converged there with more and less convenient methods of exchanging traffic between the GWR and the South Western.

• Like 1

• Moderators

A lot of progress there Laurie since I last saw it; you've spent the last couple of years more productively than I have. It's all looking excellent.

• Agree 3

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Laurie. You're still the track King. I'm interested in your inspection pits. I assume that you've anchored the rail to what will be the floor of the shed and retro cut the pits out. How do you go with the lining of said pits? I assume they would be brickwork.

I've done a couple of trials on my Tallangatta module. I made the pits out of styrene and glued a long PCB sleeper laterally which I soldered the rail to.

I've got one pit in an engine shed and an ash pit in front of a coaling stage.

I've had mixed results. Are there any difficulties with the way you're doing it (apart from a lot of swearing)?

Cheers

Bruce

This is a VR ash pit Laurie. We modeled most of our infrastructure on the British versions. Our inspection pit had steps in one end. I have access to quite a few of these sorts of plans at Victorianrailways.net. This may be useful to you if you have nothing else available.

image.png.95da50a0c0f2646318fda56cb81c73a6.png

7 minutes ago, VRBroadgauge said:

This is a VR ash pit Laurie. We modeled most of our infrastructure on the British versions. Our inspection pit had steps in one end. I have access to quite a few of these sorts of plans at Victorianrailways.net. This may be useful to you if you have nothing else available.

Obviously adjust track gauge to suit!  😂

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The video really shows just how smooth the track is. Through all the points and crossings and over baseboard joints there isn't the slightest trace of a wobble or a lurch.

It is very enjoyable and exciting to be playing a small part on such a project.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Monster is about right, Richard.  It will see me out - which is the idea.  I'll just get as far as I can with it before I get too decrepit and/or fall off the perch.  A great challenge, a constructive occupation, and a continuing education across multiple disciplines.  The passion and drive comes from its nostalgia for me.

In the meantime, I am flattered and delighted to count many friends who have helped and contributed in various ways along the road, whom I aim to acknowledge when their work is the subject of a post.  Perhaps the most constant has been t-g-b, with much learned and adopted from evenings operating (I know that's a misnomer, Tony) Buckingham.  Tony has been encouraging throughout (ref the above comment, much valued), and the goods shed and Dean Goods are just examples of his superb modelling skills (they were his first foray into 2mm. FS or otherwise) which I'm very proud to have on the layout.  Andrew Hyatt, Rich Tuplin, Andrew Hartshorn and (inevitably) Tony Gee have all contributed wiring days and Andrew Hyatt fettled the DGs on Steve Sykes' wagons - thank you all: all these - and many others' contributions elsewhere - are much appreciated, giving me more time for the more idiosyncratic aspects (!)

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

That is a superb video Laurie. What it also does is show how 2mm scale now works, which was entirely down to the efforts of Bill Blackburn many years ago, instilling the need for excellent quality control in all 2mm scale products.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you, Tim, praise indeed from the 2MM Master for all involved in that little cameo.  But I have seen many other 2FS layouts which run very smoothly - viz. those that were at Derby, and many that were not.

I entirely agree: what stands out to me about 2MM finescale is the brilliance of those who determined the track and wheel standards those 60 years ago.  they achieved the perfect balance between engineering precision (defined dimensions and tolerances), practicality (within the skills of anyone prepared to have a go and stick with it, much easier now with all the rails, sleepers, etched frames, small motors, jigs, kits and other creature comforts, of course), and aesthetics (as close as practical to the prototype appearance given the first two).  The wheel profiles and BtBs precisely match those of the track and point dimensions: it's a single package.  That they have not had to be modified in the 60 years of the scale's official lifetime, and have given us such superb operational layouts as CF, Fencehouses, Wadebridge, Bath - and the rest - says it all.  We all stand on the shoulders of giants!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Having a single source for the wheels and jigs also means the standards are maintained.

I pity the poor OO guys who have so many problems trying to run stock from different manufacturers who follow different standards (even within their own range of products).

• Agree 7