Conflat P and Containers

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Somewhat surprised to see yesterday's announcement hasn't made it on here yet!  It should be on Rails' site now.

Great decision Rapido!

Edited by Crepello
Spelling mistake.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, curlypaws said:

I'd love to see these in 4mm too. But wouldn't we need a 4mm Class 28 to haul them? I wish Heljan would re-introduce that as well.

Sorry you missed out on these, although they do pop up on well know auctions sites. 

I don't mean to sound smug, but I am fortunate enough to have one ready and waiting, although I think they were double headed to mitigate risk of failures en route? :(

I also have an SLW 24 with Condor headboard!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1471172903_ConflatPContainers1.png.11db691bcc6250d6de7939534a124071.png

Rapido Trains UK’s new ‘N’ gauge ‘Conflat P’

•   Highly-detailed new container wagon
•   TWO all-new containers
•   Perfect for modelling BR’s famous ‘Condor’ service

Rapido Trains UK is delighted to announce that ‘N’ gauge modellers will now be able to replicate one of BR’s most famous goods services with our new ‘Conflat P’ wagons.

596586929_28Conflats.png.b61f44ee07b818fe289e7607e44f0b6b.png

BR created 60 Diagram 1/60 ‘Conflat Ps’ for the introduction of the Anglo-Scottish ‘Condor’ service in 1959. They were rebuilt from Dia. 1/431 and 1/432 ‘Plate’ wagons. The sides and floors were removed, they were fitted with roller bearings and new suspension and a new central girder allowed them to carry one Type BD container as well as a Type A.

The ‘Conflat Ps’ served ‘Condor’ until 1964 when they were replaced with a batch of Ashford-built bogie wagons. ‘Condor’ was withdrawn in 1965, superseded by the new nationwide Freightliner container service. All the redundant ‘Conflat Ps’ were rebuilt as timber carriers – dubbed ‘Timber Ps’ - and were a common in Scotland until they were withdrawn in 1981.

407417588_ConflatP1.png.3fd94c9a2f57048bd6ca5cb4ca645cdc.png

These new wagons are the perfect accompaniment to Rapido’s forthcoming ‘N’ gauge Metro-Vick Type 2. Six Co-Bos were allocated to Cricklewood to work the overnight London-Glasgow container service. Together with the ‘Conflat Ps’, the Class 28s were immortalised in Terence Cuneo’s 1959 painting ‘Night Freight’.

Rapido Trains UK Sales & Marketing Manager Richard Foster said,  “The Class 28 is most famously associated with ‘Condor’ and it makes so much sense to produce the ‘Conflat P’ to run behind the ‘28’.

“This has been a hugely challenging project thanks to a dearth of research material. There are literally only a handful of published ‘Conflat P’ photographs and drawings are just as scant. We’ve combined official drawings of the ‘Plate’ wagon with Paul Bartlett’s and Trevor Mann’s research to make as best a guess on the internal structure as possible.

“The other challenge is that, unlike, say, a ‘Conflat A’, the ‘Conflat P’ has no floor. All the chassis beams are visible and so there are very few places to attach things like brake pipes.

979374794_ConflatP2.png.50952ecee2a2bc8ed45b3d0f96881c15.png

“But despite the difficulties in designing the ‘Conflat P’, we’re really pleased with how well they have turned out. They’ve really got that ‘open frame’ look and I think our designers have done a grand job to make all the fittings as unobtrusive as possible.”

To complement the new ‘Conflat Ps’, Rapido has also developed all-new 1:148 scale Dia. 3/050 Type BD and Dia. 3/001 Type A containers. These will initially be only available with the ‘Conflat P’ but will be released as separate accessories at a later date.

685880261_ContainerA1.png.534031ec0f369c7f7964cf6beae9ba1d.png

Both the ‘Conflat P’ and the new containers – along with the MetroVick Type 2 – are now in tooling and Rapido hopes to be able to show off samples in the near future.

780538288_ContainerB1.png.378b13e754842297d97ea292bba9a211.png

More details and ordering is available at https://rapidotrains.co.uk/conflat-p/

Conflat P & Containers 2.png

• Like 9

I asked in the thread somewhere on here (the things for us to make thread).

But now I've cot a conundrum- in that the Class 28 and the Conflats are about 1/2 of the specalized stock for Long Marton.  But my model is in OO, not N...

(I have a pair of the Heljan 28's...and a lovely set of etches from Micheal Edge for the Conflats in 4mm)

We need the GPV to explode these up to 4mm/ft !

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nabber said:

Does anywhere apart from Rails have these for pre-order yet?

I have nothing against Rails, but happy to buy from elsewhere if somewhere else has them.

thanks,

Rapido conveniently provides a list of retailers on their website - https://rapidotrains.co.uk/official-retailers/

If your preferred retailer is on the list simply contact them about placing the order - simply because they haven't listed it on their website doesn't mean they won't be wiling to order it for you.

And if your preferred retailer isn't on the list, then ask them anyway - maybe they will become a retailer.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2021 at 22:23, thohurst said:

Brilliant! Though I was very much hoping for a 4mm version. Fingers crossed if these sell well, Rapido will consider a 4mm offering too!

I got excited today when I got a Gaugemaster email subject: "Rapido Trains OO Scale BR Conflat P Wagons" - sadly it seems to be a typo and only seems to refer to the N gauge version.

Roy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Timber P version for me in N gauge, please, although I would be happy with a chassis only option so that I can create them myself. Suggested via the Rapido website.... you never know.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 03060 said:

A Timber P version for me in N gauge, please, although I would be happy with a chassis only option so that I can create them myself. Suggested via the Rapido website.... you never know.

Fun size Mallaig in the wings?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 03060 said:

Timber P in OO gauge please!! I'd buy at least half a dozen.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1