KR Models to make SR Class 4DD

Martin_R

• RMweb Gold

From the KR Models newsletter, (what is it with people publishing screen grabs of Cads without switching on the perspective view first I don't know). The curved windows into the roof line were always going to be a challenge, it is hard to be convinced from these images..,.

156997965_KRmodelsDD_1.png.a76f1ae492d8330c55c8ecaefd892378.png910000748_KRmodelsDD_2.png.9fb4fcf0303392ab4c1b0300e2782af9.png

Also these units should have steel disc BFB wheels (with welded tyres, not totally successful in service)  when introduced later replaced with the spoked wheels as shown as shown, I do not know if this will be an option. I can not tell if they have taken into account the smaller wheels under the shorter 8ft trailing bogies.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

From the KR Models newsletter, (what is it with people publishing screen grabs of Cads without switching on the perspective view first I don't know). The curved windows into the roof line were always going to be a challenge, it is hard to be convinced from these images..,.

156997965_KRmodelsDD_1.png.a76f1ae492d8330c55c8ecaefd892378.png910000748_KRmodelsDD_2.png.9fb4fcf0303392ab4c1b0300e2782af9.png

Also these units should have steel disc BFB wheels (with welded tyres, not totally successful in service)  when introduced later replaced with the spoked wheels as shown as shown, I do not know if this will be an option. I can not tell if they have taken into account the smaller wheels under the shorter 8ft trailing bogies.

Hi-vis is all very well for the workers, but I'm not keen on those liveries for coaching stock!

• Funny 4

Were the trailing bogies really roller bearing? the photos I can find online imply the answer is no for the one at Sellinge, but my only visit there there was a tarpaulin covering the top and a load of scrap and nettles hiding the bottom, so I only have a single snap of about 60% of one end.

Jon

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

I hope it is a lack of shading making the wrap-over top windows look odd.   The whole roof curve looks odd from those CADs.

As Muz alludes to, the perspective is all wrong on that top shot, they don't seem to be using oblique or isometric projection, just some weird hybrid 

Excellent to see someone doing a 4-DD  -  I am truly amazed to see a 4-DD done before a 4-COR, 4-SUB, or even a Class 455, all of which I would have thought would sell many, many more 4-car sets.

I am pleased that this, and the Northern Line set, and Hornby announcements show that even in these inflationary days, 4-car sets can be produced for under £400.

I saw the 8 car set (2 x 4-DDs) a very few times.  When at a platform they just looked a bit odd, but when seeing them on the tracks from another train they looked really odd, sort of bloated. 

Still, someone thinks that they will sell.  I will be fascinated to see how they do the flush sealed curved windows at the turn of the top of the bodywork.

The only real question now is whether to order one, or more realistically two ?   Maybe if I wait KR will do a second run with the alternative unit number !

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 17:28, jonhall said:

Were the trailing bogies really roller bearing? the photos I can find online imply the answer is no for the one at Sellinge, but my only visit there there was a tarpaulin covering the top and a load of scrap and nettles hiding the bottom, so I only have a single snap of about 60% of one end.

Jon

On 21/01/2022 at 23:10, Wickham Green too said:

Highly unlikely .......... most photos show the front end, of course - and the ( otherwise useful ) shot a couple of pages back has a strategically placed clump of buddleia !

Here's a clearer picture - the bogies have roller bearings and match the ones in the KR models render. 

The only British double-decker

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Here's a clearer picture - the bogies have roller bearings and match the ones in the KR models render. 

Thanks, its certainly a clearer picture, and not what I was expecting to see, although I'll reserve judgement on whether they match the KR image, since that's not terribly clear.

The other thing that interested me with that picture is the shape of the springs - pretty droopy! I assume that the real thing has a number of broken springs, but its a bit odd that the power bogie on the KR model has them that way round, but the trailer is the 'normal' way around? 

Jon

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Thanks, its certainly a clearer picture, and not what I was expecting to see, although I'll reserve judgement on whether they match the KR image, since that's not terribly clear.

The other thing that interested me with that picture is the shape of the springs - pretty droopy! I assume that the real thing has a number of broken springs, but its a bit odd that the power bogie on the KR model has them that way round, but the trailer is the 'normal' way around? 

Jon

• RMweb Gold

The adjacent vehicle doesn't have buffers but going by solebar height the DD certainly appears significantly lower.

I am assuming that even with it being DD the buffer height should be standard so it can be moved easily?

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

The adjacent vehicle doesn't have buffers but going by solebar height the DD certainly appears significantly lower.

I am assuming that even with it being DD the buffer height should be standard so it can be moved easily?

I think the buffers might be a preservation era addition to allow it to be shunted?

Jon

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

The outer buffers ARE at standard height - aligned with the upswept frame over the motor bogies ...... the inner end would have had the standard S.R. 'single buffer and three-link' arrangement and would never have had to match anything else in service - as Jonhall says, the buffer you can see is a preservation mod positioned higher than the solebar.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The May update includes the same previously seen images of cad drawings and the same contradictory text...

"Tooling has begun and we should have samples in about 6 months" and "The CAD drawings are almost complete and look very interesting."  

Why would tooling have started if the Cads are not complete...?

1000835527_MotorCoach1full.png.19dcaf0f084a17b560b3ac3deb58628b.png52430364_Trailingcoach1Full.png.77f3527507ec832631f6e03dec0266ae.png

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The May update includes the same previously seen images of cad drawings and the same contradictory text...

"Tooling has begun and we should have samples in about 6 months" and "The CAD drawings are almost complete and look very interesting."  

1000835527_MotorCoach1full.png.19dcaf0f084a17b560b3ac3deb58628b.png52430364_Trailingcoach1Full.png.77f3527507ec832631f6e03dec0266ae.png

Alas I get the impression at times that a good understanding of the English language is not one of KR's strongest features.  For instance one of their adverts - which ran in the mags some months  - said 'We would like to make ...'   for something which they had previously announced they would be making, confusing to say the least. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2022 at 11:10, The Stationmaster said:

Alas I get the impression at times that a good understanding of the English language is not one of KR's strongest features.  For instance one of their adverts - which ran in the mags some months  - said 'We would like to make ...'   for something which they had previously announced they would be making, confusing to say the least. 

It certainly damages credibility….

this one is looking like its coming back to haunt the customer, at least those purchasing prior to that have some recourse if unhappy.

regarding Fell..

Newsletter_18_-_The_End_Is_In_Sight.pdf?

Here is the latest screenshot of the CAD drawings so far. These should be complete by the end of April. Then we head to tooling. We should have a working sample in time for Warley this year.

There were other changes to the body work that we can't change without a huge expense. So we are keeping to the one we have the most information on.

Is this where Generic Fell emerged ? And why is modifying a CAD more expensive, than modifying a tooling, if that tooling hasnt yet started ? 

Full marks on GT3 and the Consetts, the were a bit vague there too, but they did listen, even if communication was a bit opaque, but Fell for me feels  a bridge too far!

So personally I’m happy to order via Rails, rather than pay upfront a year plus in advance from now on. The risk tolerance drops with lines like the above, and lack of clarification of what were seeing… when the DD etc lists there i’ll move, unless the Fell turns up accurate and surprises us again too..in that case i’ll truly bet on them for winning a poker face challenge and i’d be lost for words.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

IThe risk tolerance drops with lines like the above, and lack of clarification of what were seeing… when the DD etc lists there i’ll move, unless the Fell turns up accurate and surprises us again too..in that case i’ll truly bet on them for winning a poker face challenge and i’d be lost for words.

If we saw a Fell hauling a DD, we'd all be lost for words!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Is this where Generic Fell emerged ? And why is modifying a CAD more expensive, than modifying a tooling, if that tooling hasnt yet started ? 

I assume what they meant is that having different toolings for different body variations is (understandably) too expensive, hence Generic Fell.

On 13/05/2022 at 08:59, Graham_Muz said:

Visually at least there's some work to do to get them looking right.

• Agree 1