18100 / E1000 / E2001 from Rails/Heljan

Ian J.

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Weren't they originally intended for Chunnel trains to the Continent?

CJI.

and from and beyond Northwards .........................................

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

I do wonder if the 3 windscreened design of the AL series locos was developed from the prototype “Class 80”.

The original intent (at least according to a wooden cab mock-up, built before the locos themselves) was to have the route indicator in the middle window, class 302-style, and a flush nose below.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 25kV said:

The original intent (at least according to a wooden cab mock-up, built before the locos themselves) was to have the route indicator in the middle window, class 302-style, and a flush nose below.

I used to have a magazine supplement on the early electrics and it had a photo of the mockup. It looked strange without the headcode box and I did try and find it before online but work got in the way.

54 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

and from and beyond Northwards .........................................

Obviously - but, nonetheless, not a general purpose design.

Rather, a specific design, for a specific purpose, requiring exceptional design criteria.

CJI.

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I used to have a magazine supplement on the early electrics and it had a photo of the mockup. It looked strange without the headcode box and I did try and find it before online but work got in the way.

There was a side view in MRP Profile 7, but also this in Marsden's "The AC Electrics" , the caption for which suggests that a SR-style 2-digit headcode system was proposed for a period. 

The mock-up is from 1957, and its Southern counterpart appears to be lurking in the background. 😉

IMG_0186copy.JPG.d1ec347ffa1d91d908b3826332bce1a2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Drove to the Rails Weekend Event today to look at a Dapol Mogul which was duly purchased. And then….in a small display cabinet cunningly situated on the counter were these……..I honestly wasn’t going to but I did.The beast in its original form seen by me as a state of the art exhibit at the railways part of The Festival Of Britain ,Waterloo East,August 1951. I’m now fully into my dotage… Whatever the motive,it is a cracking model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 20/03/2024 at 14:45, 25kV said:

There was a side view in MRP Profile 7, but also this in Marsden's "The AC Electrics" , the caption for which suggests that a SR-style 2-digit headcode system was proposed for a period. 

The mock-up is from 1957, and its Southern counterpart appears to be lurking in the background. 😉

Yes! That's it! Looks quite strange without the headcode panel doesn't it! The slightly lower middle windscreen, too!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2024 at 14:45, 25kV said:

Originally planned for oval buffers too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 25kV said:

Which only the AL4s managed to get right! 

Some would say it was the only thing right about the AL4s.

• Funny 2