Cookie/Privacy pop-up blocking forum access

Don't know if anyone else has had the same problem, but I'm currently having an issue with accessing the forums.

Due to a fault with my main PC, which is currently awaiting repair, I'm having to use an older machine while I wait. This older machine runs XP (yes, I know, but there's good reasons why I still have a machine running XP...), and so some of the software is older versions. On this machine, the main browser is Firefox 52.9.0, as it doesn't like running Chrome, Opera or any of the other main ones - I can get Chrome to run, but it keeps firing out false alarms over site security certificates (and I know they're false, as it even does it for my own website, where I know the SSL certificate is fine). I'm currently posting via Chrome, but have had to jump through hoops to get on here using it.

Everything has been OK with accessing the forums here via Firefox on the older machine until a couple of days ago. Ever since then, when I visit the forums, I get the "we value your privacy" pop-up appearing. I click on the buttons at the bottom of it, but it won't go away, and is preventing me from accessing the forum pages. It's basically totally blocking me from using the forums, and just refuses to go away!

I don't get the same issue on other browsers, or on other sites, so it seems to be limited to here and the older version of Firefox. Anyone else had the same problem, or have any ideas how to stop it happening to me?

• RMweb Premium

Whose pop up is it?

May be an admonger rather than RMWEB.

Quick and dirty fix if NOT RMWEB.

Right click view page source, look through and see if you can find the link to the popup.

If you can add the domain to HOSTS.

Method 2 make a Linux Mint bootable USB stick OR DVD, and use that on the PC

I may have a look on XP later and see what happens, it is still my video editing OS.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MJI said:

May be an admonger rather than RMWEB.

I believe it will be the standard privacy/cookie popup. I have had someone else contact me off-forum with similar symptoms.

I believe it may be caused by a browser update conflicting with previously stored cookies. I suggest clearing any RMweb cookies from the browser and starting afresh with acceptances and then login.

• Informative/Useful 1

I've replicated the problem using xp and an older version of Firefox.

It's the cookie popup doing it.

My Firefox is set to clear all cookies on shut down, so I doubt it is a problem with lingering cookies.