Hachette Flying Scotsman...another question

JeffP

Been Googling, searching etc, but can't find a definitive answer, sorry.

When building the Hachette Flying Scotsman, is soldering the same problem as for their Mallard? Has the brass been lacquered?

Thanks for any advice.

Now added another question

Edited by JeffP

The brass is fine, a fibreglass pencil will create a perfect soldering surface, the nickel silver is something else. It can be successfully done but will need cleaning up ( Dremel), lots of flux and satanic levels of heat.

Is it actually nickel silver?

Could it be stainless steel?

I ask as I've never known ns to be difficult to solder...quite the reverse, if anything, easier than brass.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JeffP said:

Is it actually nickel silver?

Could it be stainless steel?

I ask as I've never known ns to be difficult to solder...quite the reverse, if anything, easier than brass.

Good point. A pity as the parts are really well formed.

• 2 weeks later...

Next question.

What is wrong with the instructions for the cab windows, please?

I noted on the thread that one builder used three cabs before getting it "right", but don't have that luxury. Spare cabs are now non-existent.

Despite reading and re-reading the thread, I'm unsure.

• JeffP changed the title to Hachette Flying Scotsman...another question

There is an RM web thread from 2010 that helps. I think there was some debate as to which way round to use the etched frames. To be honest I can't remember exactly what I did but start with a period çorreçt photo and a couple of clean files and make them look like the photo.

Someone must have a couple of the rejects in their scrap box. At one time Issue 1 was the most popular item on the bay of E. I could use one to go with the boiler and footplate I have in the future project box. If so please PM me!

Sadly, searching for the earlier RMWeb brings up nothing but "file not found" messages. Even following links has the same result.

I thought it had been archived, but apparently not.

2 hours ago, JeffP said:

Sadly, searching for the earlier RMWeb brings up nothing but "file not found" messages. Even following links has the same result.

I thought it had been archived, but apparently not.

I found it with a Google search. " Hachette flying Scotsman RM web"

"Hachette flying Scotsman cab" will take you to the " new railway modellers forum " circa 2009. It is almost amusing to read their angst at " too much plastic" and exactly what constitutes " fit for purpose", not to mention the constant revision to instructions / components. Above all it is most informative.

Edited by doilum

On 16/10/2021 at 16:22, JeffP said:

Next question.

What is wrong with the instructions for the cab windows, please?

I noted on the thread that one builder used three cabs before getting it "right", but don't have that luxury. Spare cabs are now non-existent.

Despite reading and re-reading the thread, I'm unsure.

Jeff,

I have a cab if you want it, just PM me your address.

• Thanks 1