privacy pop up blocking my site access

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help with this glitch please?

I nearly always access RMWeb on my iphone, sometimes on the work computer, rarely on my pc at home. Since the outage t'other day, when I try to login, i get the privacy pop up but it is completely unresponsive. No matter which option i click, it refuses to budge. I tried to report this yesterday using my computer at work, but the pages no longer load correctly and the text box is missing so there isnt anywhere to type. Up until the outage, I have never had a problem. Same happens when I try to access World of Railways.

Thanks,

Tony

Im using Firefox at home btw. It works as it should.

Edited by mabel
additional info

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having issues with the Privacy Pop Up;

when using an iPad the Pop Up blocks access, hitting the I agree tab will not remove it. I have tried deleting history and cookies but this makes no difference.

when using an iPhone the Pop Up came up once but then is removed when the I agree tab is hit.

Can anyone assist with the iPad issue please?

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Carl L said:

Can anyone assist with the iPad issue please?

It seems to affect some iPads, we've been unable to replicate it but the only advice we can offer is to check your device is running the latest iOS. We have queried it with the privacy software provider and await a response as we think there's a glitch between an update from them and/or Apple.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

How much longer do I have to put up with adverts for horse whips and hand cream.....I don't even have a horse!

Won't have any hands if wife catches the adverts!

Ooops:girldevil:

Simple answer, join RMWeb Gold. :)

I'm having the Privacy Pop-up block access on my Microsoft Lumia 550 phone, checked last night, no change. Only irritation is that the phone has a good camera for photographing models but I can't now upload images direct, but I'm getting around it by emailing them to another device with no blockage issues while patiently waiting with fingers firmly crossed that the phone will come right........:boredom:

9 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I'm having the Privacy Pop-up block access on my Microsoft Lumia 550 phone, checked last night, no change. Only irritation is that the phone has a good camera for photographing models but I can't now upload images direct, but I'm getting around it by emailing them to another device with no blockage issues while patiently waiting with fingers firmly crossed that the phone will come right........:boredom:

I have exactly the same problem on my ancient 14 year old PC. Prompted me to buy a new one asap..

I hope this hasn't been covered before but the issue i have is a pop up that seems to be activated between the operation of going from 'activity' to 'unread content'  It is right in the centre of the screen and until I close it everything else is hung up.  Normally it is an add for a local service.  I am using Firefox.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Normally it is an add for a local service.

From the description that's just one of the pop-up ads rather than the privacy pop-up discussed in this topic. Just click on the X or the Close button.

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2021 at 12:23, Alcanman said:

I have exactly the same problem on my ancient 14 year old PC. Prompted me to buy a new one asap..

I hear what you're saying but I'm not on the smartphone MGR.........!

Out of curiosity I selected a couple of websites at random to run a comparative check, so to speak, and both Privacy Pop-ups worked fine, even the one which looked almost identical to RMWeb's - so where exactly is the glitch?

2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I hear what you're saying but I'm not on the smartphone MGR.........!

Out of curiosity I selected a couple of websites at random to run a comparative check, so to speak, and both Privacy Pop-ups worked fine, even the one which looked almost identical to RMWeb's - so where exactly is the glitch?

The Privacy pop up which prevents access to RMweb only occurs on my old PC. I can access RMweb on my laptop.  The problem started about one week ago.

2 hours ago, Alcanman said:

The Privacy pop up which prevents access to RMweb only occurs on my old PC. I can access RMweb on my laptop.  The problem started about one week ago.

Curious - I'm using a laptop at the moment which I'd describe as middle-aged, although it was 're-set' in April 2019; I hadn't switched it on for 2-3 weeks until a few hours ago and the RMWeb Privacy pop-up popped up, clicked on it and.....instant activation, no problem. If only my far newer "smart" phone was clever enough do the same..........I shall wait to see if something somewhere gets switched off and on again (surprising how often that works!!)

I used to get the privacy pop-over every two or three weeks, but since the creeping blank band at the top of the page went away I've been getting it every time I open a new tab or refresh an existing one in RMweb. Sometimes (but not always) I also get it when going to the next page in a thread. 

I always click on the I Agree To Lie Back And Think Of Mother England button, which dismisses that instance of the pop-over, but does nothing to stop it reappearing on the next new tab, etc. I've tried quitting Chrome and restarting, updating Chrome (twice) logging out and logging back in a few times, deleting the cache several times, and regularly deleting the RMweb (4 tonight; has been up to 8) and Warners (1) cookies. None has made any difference. On the plus side, I'm not seeing any of these ads and videos that the whinging classes get great pleasure from complaining about.

The only thing that seems to work is to read the site in Firefox. But, unlike Chrome, my installation of Firefox includes a couple of adblockers and is set for strict privacy.

Would it help if I installed an adblocker in Chrome?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Krusty said:

Would it help if I installed an adblocker in Chrome?

Nope; sorry.

I have discussed this in a meeting this afternoon and we are awaiting a response from Quantcast, who provide the software, as there appears to be a known problem.

• Moderators

Quantcast, the providers of the privacy tool (which creates the pop-up) have come back to us. It turns out that the latest version (35) of the Quantcast CMP (released at the end of Sept) does not work on older browsers. IT have switched all our sites to version 34 of the CMP and users on older browsers can, hopefully, now close the CMP modal window and browse the site.

I'll be interested to see if this improves matters for those affected.

• Like 3

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Carl L said:

All working correctly now, pop up now disappears when I agree is clicked.

Thanks Carl, that's reassuring to know when we haven't actually been able to replicate the problem to know whether it is fixed!

Sorry, Andy, but on my older iPad (not the one I’m using now), I still get the privacy notice every time I change pages or refresh a page. Also history seems to be limited to about one hour and no facility to ‘load more’.

All these problems, including the interfering adverts that also appear on my newish iPad Pro, all started in the last couple of weeks. Sorry if I keep complaining, but it gets so annoying that you get to the stage when you think it’s not worth trying to read it anymore.

I’ve been a member for quite a number of years and have never experienced this kind of aggravation before. Like others, I want to continue enjoying this hobby!

Regards,

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...

The privacy pop-up has stopped inflicting itself on me over the last week or so. Happy, happy, joy, joy. No change at my end, so I guess someone fixed something at the BRM end. Many thanks for that.

A few  days into these new sunny uplands I eventually noticed that I was no longer seeing ads for women's sports bras – or any ads for that matter, other than for BRM. I assume the two are connected.