BRM November 2021 + WOR TV*

Howard Smith

• Moderators

A warm welcome readers and viewers to our penultimate issue of BRM for 2021! Copies are available to download* from www.pocketmags.com/BRM today, or pick up copies in stores from October 7.

*Digital edition copies include the latest issue of Engineering in Miniature, three bonus articles, plus many extra videos and photographs.

Subscribers and digital edition readers will have access to the November WOR TV content, featuring 'Davidson Parkway' – a WCML tribute, a practical guide for scribing and bending plastic sheet for models, plus an introductory guide to DC vs. DCC model railway control.

Inside this issue:

LAYOUTS

'Davidson Parkway' (OO). Constructed by a Network Rail engineer, this West Coast Main Line tribute boasts a quad track continuous loop, and impressive station terminus.

2021Davidson_Parkway_1.jpg.46063ba112dbb7a4d16644ad16bfb04e.jpg

'Catsfield' (OO). From formative memories, came this picture-perfect model, with life-like qualities. Nick Palette explains his journey into fact-based fiction.

Catsfield2021_14.jpg.78c5ab57382b6e2d7740ad216ee7e1cd.jpg

'Melcombe Magna' (O). Indoor operation for gloomy winter evenings, or outdoor operation for more clement weather – this feature-filled layout permits both.

Melcombe_Magna2021_11.jpg.8e5f4d6eff9d7383df033ced17f05f48.jpg

PRACTICAL BRM
Our practical demonstrations this issue include...

Building a narrow gauge engine shed...

ES9Nov2021.jpg.2aebab0f2e69ff402266d4193bfa3568.jpg

How to model overgrowth...

MODELLINGOVERGROWTH2021STEP25.JPG.a40745e7446897992a6762ac99162ec3.JPG

Create a harbour scene...

CAROLFLAVINHARBOURPICTURE4-AY.jpg.a43a4d6de705c055f992df6d8c9b375c.jpg

Update older rolling stock...

wagonupgrade1.jpg.70c84178c813242435b3cfa73cdc9a30.jpg

Also this issue, we also share why Barnstaple could make an ideal prototype for a dual gauge interchange layout...

Barnstaple_Town_Spread_image.jpg.a48c2fb6b859adaaf02ccd35991b4b5c.jpg

REVIEWS

Reviews Galore! This issue, we look at...

Bachmann's V2 for 'OO'...

Bachmann_V2_1.jpg.918d4cd64d23aea6d45dc17f58d20dff.jpg

Heljan's Class 31/4 for 'O'...

792364803_HeljanOGauge3102.jpg.9b6184678a327a9aea5e1f361dd204f7.jpg

Hornby's Playtrains range...

833811474_Flash_Main_image(5).JPG.0527f3054a14201a1f99303b67b53907.JPG

Minerva Model's Wooden Mink van for 'O'...

Minerva_Wooden_Mink_2.jpg.676b3434881e2b70186fdf30b7d0f7d8.jpg

Plus reviews and prototype features on Revolution Trains' FWA 'Ecofret wagons for 'N'...

Ecofret_VTG_triple_4.jpg.acfd0d3e69a65f24a5ed4a089b604e72.jpg

1965023848_VTGsFWAEcofretsPrototype20212.jpg.236f591a62cea1dae6fd7888255f963e.jpg

...and the N Gauge Society's Hunslet 0-6-0DH 'N'.

NGS_Hunslet_4.jpg.588b026604b3026fcd69d57c050edd25.jpg

PROTOTYPEHUNSLET20214.jpg.b9f1692a54d561da4e60dcc52306ef71.jpg

All this, and the latest news, books and products to arrive, and much more!

The November 2021 issue of BRM, available to download from www.pocketmags.com/BRM today, or pick up a copy in stores from October 7.

We hope you enjoy your model railway fix!

H

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Howard Smith said:

LAYOUTS

'Davidson Parkway' (OO). Constructed by a Network Rail engineer, this West Coast Main Line tribute boasts a quad track continuous loop, and impressive station terminus.

2021Davidson_Parkway_1.jpg.46063ba112dbb7a4d16644ad16bfb04e.jpg

My thanks to Mark for one of the most enjoyable days photographing and filming a layout I've had in a long time. The amount of work on the OLE is quite something!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

My thanks to Mark for one of the most enjoyable days photographing and filming a layout I've had in a long time. The amount of work on the OLE is quite something!

Thanks Andy … very enjoyable day for me as well … and feels very surreal seeing my layout making the cover of BRM! Look forward to receiving the printed copy later this week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just had a bit of time to watch two of the Subscriber videos that come with BRM: Phil’s Practical and Howard’s Feature.

A couple of easily-overlooked things stood out for me, which made me think (this is a good thing):

1.  Full marks to @Phil Parker for leaving his minor ‘out-take’ in the video, and clearly not being bothered by it.  That’s the learning point for me about scratchbuilding - it’ll happen, it’s not a problem (can be a big advantage over kit-building).

2.  If I can be forgiven a plot spoiler, I also enjoyed @Howard Smith’s video on DC / DCC.  I wouldn’t always watch a piece like that to be honest, but I was intrigued as to the approach taken as no track appears in shot.  By focusing on the DC Controller and the DCC Decoder however, I found it made a lot of sense - in each respective system, those are the places where the action happens.  Do I need to know this?  Of course - at any moment anyone of us may be asked to explain the hobby to an prospective newcomer, and having accessible ways to unpack it all could be just the start someone needs.

Thank you, Keith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Is there any delay in sending the subscription copies out? For the first time ever my copy has not arrived before the shops have their copies. Hopefully it will arrive on Monday as it looks like another great issue.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Is there any delay in sending the subscription copies out?

I don't know if there was a delay and, if so, why but I only got mine in yesterday's post. Hopefully it'll be with you soon Chris.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I don't know if there was a delay and, if so, why but I only got mine in yesterday's post. Hopefully it'll be with you soon Chris.

Many thanks for that info. I would not start to get worried until it was a week late and then I would contact the subs department rather than here but just wondered if it was a general problem or just my post playing up.

• Administrators
On 09/10/2021 at 10:10, Keith Addenbrooke said:

1.  Full marks to @Phil Parker for leaving his minor ‘out-take’ in the video, and clearly not being bothered by it.  That’s the learning point for me about scratchbuilding - it’ll happen, it’s not a problem (can be a big advantage over kit-building).

I've always said that good modelling is as much about being able to deal (bodge) with things that go wrong as it is getting everything right first time. Also, just because we do mag stuff, we are a long way from perfect and sometimes things go awry. Best not get stressed, it's only toy trains after all, not brain surgery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2021 at 18:04, AY Mod said:

hi all

I have still not received my subscription copy. Are there any delay’s?

Steve

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2021 at 18:04, AY Mod said:

Pleased to report that my copy arrived this morning and I have spent most of the rest of today having a very good read. Thanks to the team as always.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ramrig said:

hi all

I have still not received my subscription copy. Are there any delay’s?

Steve

Although mine was a bit late Steve I'd have thought they should all be out by now. Call the subs office in the morning and they'll get another sent out. The number's on the Contents page.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 23/10/2021 at 17:03, rogerdee said:

I subscribe to the paper version can I still get too see the video's and if so how?

Hi Roger, if by 'see the videos' supplied as part of WOR TV to paper and digital subscribers, then yes. Non-WOR TV videos in addition and supplied as a digital edition exclusive fall outside of the paper subscription. Most editions of BRM feature three WOR TV videos, the links to which you should receive - this should be delivered via an email from us to your email inbox.

H

• Moderators
On 28/10/2021 at 19:39, rogerdee said:

I don't think you have my email address so who do I get in contact with so I can see the videos for the magazine pls

Roger, this is being sorted for you. Should you encounter any further difficulties, please send me a PM. Hope you enjoy the videos!

H