Preserved Locomotive Workings in Mainland Europe.

SamThomas

I often see pictures of preserved locomotives running a long way from their "home base" in Mainland Europe.

My question is - do they tend to run long distances "light" by rail or transported by road (assuming that they are certifield to run on main lines) ?

55 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

From my limited experience at a couple of Plandampf and similar gatherings, they often arrive at a head of a special excursion train bringing enthusiasts to the event.

That seems to be the case for events at Baie du Somme; Often, trains will work a circular tour whilst in the area in order for local enthusiasts to have the opportunity to travel on them. The relevant pages of 'Today's Railways- Europe' might be of interest.

• RMweb Premium

Watch out for the DB Museum Koblenz open days, the main event is normally around June or  July and attracts specials hauled by preserved locos from a wide area, often using private coaching stock. 

DB Museum

DB have a more accomodating stance on private locos and stock, photo here is  4-6-4 tank 78 468 with a selection of bogie and 4 wheel coaches, some with open balconies on a tour from Hamm to Koblenz back in October 2019.

Hardcore enthusiast tours are not as popular here, apart from the Plandampf type events, tours are more aimed at the public, usually destined to a town of interest with an event going on, so they guarantee a well loaded train, enthusiasts for the traction/track and Joe Public for the destination.  

IMG_2129.JPG

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SamThomas said:

I often see pictures of preserved locomotives running a long way from their "home base" in Mainland Europe.

My question is - do they tend to run long distances "light" by rail or transported by road (assuming that they are certifield to run on main lines) ?

Other than a few narrow gauge locos, I've never seen any photos or videos of locos on low loaders in Europe. By rail is the easiest option generally, even if it does take a long time with plenty of stops for various checks. 

2-8-0 740.423 was moved from Sardinia to Pistoia in Tuscany a couple of months ago, by sea and rail, for overhaul. Train ferry from Golfo Aranci to Messina, then hauled by an electric loco over several days to Pistoia. 

https://www.ferrovie.info/index.php/it/13-treni-reali/19148-ferrovie-trasferita-dalla-sardegna-la-740-423-di-fondazione-fs

What was often the case (pre-Covid, I'm not sure what exists now) would be that a steam festival at a major centre would attract special workings both from within the country itself and from neighbouring countries.  There are also several instances where heritage companies have imported steam locos from other countries as part of their operational fleet (as well as disguising such locos as domestic equivalents).

Mostly these would be locos fit for main line operation.  One notable exception is a Robert Stephenson 2-4-0 owned by the Norwegian Railway Museum, which travelled to appear at events loaded in its own special train (with support vehicles).