tracking down class 52 d1035 "yeoman" as preserved

jonnyuk

• RMweb Gold

hi all, after abit of help. I picked up a western yesterday from rails at GETS, d1035 yeoman. Its in BR black and is supposedly originally an olvia's trains model. i can't find any details on it in regards model form. looks like Heljan did it in BR green but not BR black

4 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

maybe its not actually preserved. i did a quick google yesterday before the purchase and i'm sure i found it in preservation. a google today seems to show its not...slightly confused now

D1035 was cut up at Swindon by September '76.  Not sure if D1010 masqueraded as its fallen sister at some stage, possibly funded by Foster Yeoman.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

the box does have a olivia's train label on it but rails put their own label over the top and its torn the important bit, running number, all i can see is BR black.

Its a 00 gauge.

i can only assume its either been renumbered or some limited edition from OT.

• RMweb Gold

D1035 wasn’t fit for preservation so Foster Yeoman acquired D1010 Western Campaigner and renumbered it. Appeared at Didcot too in that disguise IIRC. No western ever ran in black but there is a rumour one was painted black then repainted before being released in to traffic…can’t remember seeing a photo of it in black. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

D1035 was cut up at Swindon by September '76.  Not sure if D1010 masqueraded as its fallen sister at some stage, possibly funded by Foster Yeoman.  

Spot on, it did indeed! FY wanted D1035 (for obvious reasons) but too late, it had already gone, so they obtained D1010 and renamed it as a 'gate guardian' at Merehead. It was still D1035 Western Yeoman when rescued for preservation and displayed at the GWS Didcot Open Day in October 1987, in plain green livery (no yellow panels) with D1000-style cast BR lion-and-wheel badges. 

Legend has it that Foster Yeoman's MD was so smitten with the appearance of the Westerns that he insisted that their new Class 59s should have a 'hood' above the windscreens. Does this mean that all Class 59s and the hundreds of Class 66s on British rails have an element of Western diesel-hydraulic styling? Depends on whether this is true or not! Same regarding a Western in black livery, even if only briefly - I don't believe this has ever been proven. If Adrian Curtis ever found any evidence one way or the other it would take me a while to plough through his material to locate it.

PS I see Phil beat me to it!

Edited by Neil Phillips
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i never noticed but on the back of the box there is a label for

D1033 Western Trooper in Black

Standard BR Inter City Arrows

Full Yellow Ends

Light Medium Weathering

i do think this is  a custom renumber and weathering job by olivia's trains. what it was originally who knows.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

D1035 wasn’t fit for preservation so Foster Yeoman acquired D1010 Western Campaigner and renumbered it. Appeared at Didcot too in that disguise IIRC. No western ever ran in black but there is a rumour one was painted black then repainted before being released in to traffic…can’t remember seeing a photo of it in black. 

I attended the Foster Yeoman open day at Merehead in 2008 and I was talking to one of the FY staff who was involved with the purchase of the Class 59's.  He told me that indeed they were after D1035 but upon inspection just after it was withdrawn, it was noticed it had serious defects (hence why it was withdrawn) and evidence of accident damage in the past.  They asked BR for a quote to buy D1035 and put it through Swindon, but the quote given was beyond eye watering (in excess of £50k in mid 70's prices).