Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Paying for entrance to exhibitions.

Kris

Paying for entrance to exhibitions.  

150 members have voted

1. 1. When you go to an exhibition would you expect to be able to pay with a credit / debit card to enter.

2. 2. If the ability to pay with a credit / debit card was available would you use it?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Our club can't get to talk to anyone in the bank HSBC as our account is a business one apparently and the branch in Plymouth only deals with personal accounts and none of the other banks want to take us on so we will be continuing with cash only for the forseeable future, a right pain, but unless we're turning over 10s of thousands a year they don't seem to be interested.

Can't you get it changed to a personal one?

When we had our guest house in Keswick, I ran the whole business on my personal account, complete with business paying in books and credit card machine.

As were weren't VAT registered Lloyds were OK with the arrangement.

I'm not sure whether they would be so accommodating 20 years later.

10 hours ago, Free At Last said:

I have never had a problem using cash... never been refused, even bought a new car.

I have. 

Decades ago in the USA quite a lot of filling stations wouldn't take cash - the problem was the constitutional right to bear arms - people kept robbing them at gunpoint if they had cash on the premises.  On the other hand I had no trouble whatever getting greenbacks accepted where legal tender was the Leu or the Dirham - and even given change in Western currencies.

There is a misunderstanding about what "legal tender" means. It is a method of payment that cannot be refused for the guaranteed settlement of a debt. If I owe you £10 million, I can pay you in £1 coins and you cannot refuse. However you can refuse settlement in 50p coins as they are only legal tender for amounts up to £10. You can accept if you wish, but legally you don't have to.

It does not mean that any other transaction has to be with legal tender, meaning the parties can agree to any method of payment or refuse to accept certain methods if it's not convenient. So yes you can buy a car with cash if both parties agree, but the vendor doesn't have to agree to this and can legitimately refuse.

Cheers

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to hear the comments on carrying cash about. Even before Covid I was carrying very little cash about, now the only time that I have cash around is if I have hunted down a working cash point* to get cash for a specific reason, like purchasing items second hand from private sellers. In the past 12 months I have only had cash in my wallet 4 or 5 times. 

*75% of the time I have to try 2 or more cash points to find a working one. 

4 minutes ago, Kris said:

Interesting to hear the comments on carrying cash about. Even before Covid I was carrying very little cash about, now the only time that I have cash around is if I have hunted down a working cash point* to get cash for a specific reason, like purchasing items second hand from private sellers. In the past 12 months I have only had cash in my wallet 4 or 5 times. 

*75% of the time I have to try 2 or more cash points to find a working one. 

Ditto - the only time I pay cash now is when I go to the local Chinese takeaway.  

I carry a small amount of cash in my wallet and it's never the first thing I reach for when paying for any item, it's a last resort now.

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Our club can't get to talk to anyone in the bank HSBC as our account is a business one apparently and the branch in Plymouth only deals with personal accounts and none of the other banks want to take us on so we will be continuing with cash only for the forseeable future, a right pain, but unless we're turning over 10s of thousands a year they don't seem to be interested.

HSBC don't care how much you have in your account because they are about to get it off you in charges for having an account and for most transactions.  They are doing it to charities as well, which is how I know.  Move the money to another bank.  Bill

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2021 at 01:04, The Johnster said:

Card readers cost about £20, so not much justification would be needed!

If you are involved in any activity in which you need to take money from the public (apart from outright theft) it seems to me that you will be more successful in that endeavour if you are able to take the money in any form that they want to give it to you.  We are on the way to becoming a cashless society, and more and more people are spending their money by various digital methods without actually using cash at all, and I can forsee a time when using cash will be difficult in many retail outlets and venues.

It looks as though society is going back to the ages-old method of boiling silver coins, which were supposed to carry diseases. Paper money is the problem.  To quote the Goons.. " Here is my photograph of a nine-pound note". I'd suggest that people bring along enough coin to gain entrance, only using the card for purchases, etc.