No DC control Dapol Class 22

Short of opening it up can anyone assist me? I have a Dapol Class 22 which seems to have no control on DC, you select the direction and as you ease on the power it shoots off at its max speed. There seems to be no analogue speed control what so ever, Im using a mid 90s Hornby red knob DC controller (not sophisticated i know) but there is no speed control on the loco as soon as you get to about 1/2 way thats it full tilt. Have i accidentally bought a DCC locomotive andam i going to find a chip if i take the body off? is this normal DCC on DC symptoms?

• RMweb Gold

00 or N gauge? It may be that the motor has a high starting voltage and the voltage control on your controller is too coarse to permit starts at lower speeds. Can you reduce the speed once the loco moves off?  And Have you access to another controller you could test it on? 

00 Gauge, There was no control at all from when the loco picked up voltage to being on max, It does have a blanking plate fitted so that rules out DCC, I tried a much much older loco an 80s Hornby 8F and got the same result either full or stop and nothing in between. turns out the potentiometers on 3/5 of my old controllers are the same...time foe some new budget ones i think 

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a broken wire on the Rheostat in the controller either a connecting wire or the winding itself. 

You could open it up and have a look but I would bin it.    Get the 8F working properly on a controller before worrying about the class 22.

The Hornby 8F is a power hungry Ringfield  so should run quite slowly on the old Hornby Controllers unlike some others which go from 0 to 30 instantaneously. 

Hornby controllers are pretty naff Triang / Hornby ones worse.  Morleys don't seem to do single units for OO so maybe Gaugemaster is the answer, maybe get one on eBay if funds are tight .   

Edited by DCB
  • Agree 1

Final verdict is 3 out of my five controllers are knackered, One of the ones that works is an identical type to the three broken ones and the other working one is much much newer. out of the four that are the same (R.965). the working one has a totally different 'feel' to the potentiometer dial its very stiff in use but that seems to enable all my locos to vary between a barely perceptable crawl right thru to a sprint. Will hunt out a gaugemaster one as i do need an aux for points etc 

2 hours ago, Mainlinefreighter58 said:

Final verdict is 3 out of my five controllers are knackered, One of the ones that works is an identical type to the three broken ones and the other working one is much much newer. out of the four that are the same (R.965). the working one has a totally different 'feel' to the potentiometer dial its very stiff in use but that seems to enable all my locos to vary between a barely perceptable crawl right thru to a sprint. Will hunt out a gaugemaster one as i do need an aux for points etc 

Odd that three of them are banjaxed. Have they been unused for a long time? Corrosion perhaps?

Your controllers have a 16v input & output, so these should be ok as a supply for something which requires a 16v AC input like a panel mount or handheld. There is no need to splash out on a cased unit with an integral transformer.

As already mentioned, Gaugemaster DC controllers give good performance & are usually pretty reliable but have a lifetime guarantee which GM honour. I have known a couple of people to send units back for repair & they get returned quickly with no fuss. One of these was an ebay purchase too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1