Advice for novice N gauge modeller re uncoupling

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

as an OO gauge modeller myself, I am trying to help a first-time N gauge modeller friend get started. He admires my servo-driven electronic uncoupler ramps for my tension-lock couplers, but of course standard N gauge couplers are a completely different design. He really isn’t up to the challenge or cost of replacing the standard Farish type N coupler as supplied on new items currently.

How do N gauge modellers generally uncouple stock? Is there any kind of off-the-shelf option? He has opted for Streamline code 55 track.

thanks for any help

Ian

The Peco elsie coupling can be used with magnetic uncouplers, but it doesn't work so well with Farish style sprung couplers.

Depending how much uncoupling / how complicated your friend plans to make his shunting perhaps consider the Dapol easie-shunts.  They are basically an n gauge kaydee (microtrains also do one in n) and are very compact and quite popular.  They have delayed action as well, so perfectly good for shunting as well as platform end uncoupling in terminus stations.  I understand they are a little harder to get into Farish NEM sockets but they do fit.  There are also conversion packs available for non NEM couplings.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ITG said:

He admires my servo-driven electronic uncoupler ramps for my tension-lock couplers, but of course standard N gauge couplers are a completely different design.

A different design, but they do uncouple in a similar way - both need some force applying from the bottom to push up the pin that hangs down from the coupler. The main difference is that for the N Gauge rapido you only need to move one of them, so a little more precision when positioning vehicles in needed.

As mentioned above, Peco make a manual uncoupler. Trix make an uncoupler track. Either could be a good starting point for your own design.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming this is British prototype, using the ramps provided by various track manufacturers don't work very well. Some Farish models have couplings that are unable to lift enough to clear another coupling. On Dapol models, lifting one coupling of a pair often causes the other to lift too (it's necessary to lift one coupling, not both).

It isn't anything like as difficult with European prototypes — not 100% reliable, but no worse than most OO or HO types.