THISELDOO - My train set

GJB

4 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

That looks like a lot of fun.

Hi Father Dougal,

It is certainly fun to operate, and gives me much enjoyment - what more can you ask of a trainset. The layout does not take itself too seriously, as it's name suggests, which is what appeals to me. 

Gerry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boxerbayrailway said:

I can just imagine a 43xx headed train passing by.  I really like the scenery on the corner section,  a pleasant location to have a picnic & watch the trains.  Nice to see another roundy layout in O.  

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the encouraging comment regarding the scenery on the corner section. That particular corner takes the track around the top end of the available loft space and into the fiddle yard on the other side of the loft. If I can get my wife to show me how to work the video on her iPad I intend to try posting a short video showing a 43xx heading the Lionheart 4 coach set. If nothing else it shows that decent length trains can be run without looking silly on minimum radius curves (4ft 3" in my case) especially if you are viewing from inside the curve of the track.

As for having a picnic, in the fullness of time I shall populate one of the fields in that area with a few of the excellent Pendon Collection figures from Modelu to bring a bit of life to the area.

Gerry  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

Great layout name. :)

Hi Woodyfox,

Thanks for the comment. I must admit that the name really does fits my modelling style quite well. Both the layout and its builder are very much on the same wavelength.

Gerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Very neat, and actually plenty believable-looking enough. Could easily be somewhere in the Cotswolds.

Being nosey: how long is the loft?

Hi Nearholmer,

Thanks for the kind remarks, much appreciated.

The loft space available for use is 9ft wide by 26ft long. Unfortunately there is only enough room for a 7" deep backscene along the main baseboard. To achieve anything deeper would have meant reducing the minimum radius at the ends even further.

Gerry 

• Like 2

A couple more photos which were taken as the layout was being built. A before and after view showing one end of the layout as the track runs from the station area on the left as viewed, around the curve and into the fiddle yard on the right. More trees have been added since the second photo was taken, and I have yet to complete some fine detail work.

Please excuse the mess!!

Gerry

P1010760.JPG.e92d979a393c038dfa02ae30922c1b74.JPG1537127149_layouta.jpg.f66b5ea13281db88acfb75faadf4ea99.jpg 

• Like 13

Hello Gerry, well if anyone was in doubt about fitting a lovely roundy roundy O gauge layout into a modest loft space , there is the wonderful proof it can be done :paint:.

In my humble opinion, I think this should have a piece in one of the Modelling Mags, I reckon it will be an inspiration for many, who wrongly think they are space starved.

Well done, it’s lovely, you have done a great job on it, well thought out.

Do you have a track plan please ? 

Craig 

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hello Gerry, well if anyone was in doubt about fitting a lovely roundy roundy O gauge layout into a modest loft space , there is the wonderful proof it can be done :paint:.

In my humble opinion, I think this should have a piece in one of the Modelling Mags, I reckon it will be an inspiration for many, who wrongly think they are space starved.

Craig 

Now there's inspiration for you young Craig.:good:

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with Mr Muddy above. The layout has that sense of space about it which I think comes from having the scenic run either side of the station along with your idea of slightly raising the line from the countryside it is sitting in. 

I don't know whether you ever saw a layout called Tapley in the modelling press but this has that same peaceful feel.

• Agree 1

On 06/10/2021 at 17:53, boxerbayrailway said:

Nice to see another roundy layout in O.  

Indeed, I don't think there are many of us in the UK with indoor roundy-roundy O Scale layouts!!

13 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

well if anyone was in doubt about fitting a lovely roundy roundy O gauge layout into a modest loft space , there is the wonderful proof it can be done :paint:.

Mmm... not sure 26ft long is a "modest" space??!! Mine is 17ft long, on a 'typical' 1930s Semi.

My total layout size is 17ft x 8ft. If I'd built it lower it could've been wider than 8ft, but it would've been a heck of a lot more work, and too low for comfort.

@GJB  I salute your achievement with UK steam outline. With 8ft width my minimum radius is 3ft, but it's American O Scale, so locos (diesels) & stock cope well; 3ft radius would not work with UK outline modern diesels with buffers & scale couplings. There have been some interesting Threads recently on the minimum radius for O scale, the slightly unhelpful answer to which is - "it depends!"

Edit :- what make are the trees? They look really good!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
question added

22 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Craig 

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the very kind words of encouragement, much appreciated. I'm afraid there never was a track plan, but I will attempt to draw one and post it along with the salient measurements. I have got a couple more photos  from when the layout was being built which shows quite clearly the track layout, which should help.

Gerry

image0 (2).jpeg

image0 (3).jpeg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, pirouets said:

I have to agree with Mr Muddy above. The layout has that sense of space about it which I think comes from having the scenic run either side of the station along with your idea of slightly raising the line from the countryside it is sitting in. 

I don't know whether you ever saw a layout called Tapley in the modelling press but this has that same peaceful feel.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the very kind comments. My intention from the start was to attempt to achieve an 'uncluttered look'  and to portray a feeling of space. Some years ago I remember somebody, I think it may have been Iain Rice, saying that ideally a layout should be able to accommodate the length of a train three times over in order to look realistic. That is what I have managed to do by taking the track round the back of the chimney breast.

Gerry 

9 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Indeed, I don't think there are many of us in the UK with indoor roundy-roundy O Scale layouts!!

Mmm... not sure 26ft long is a "modest" space??!! Mine is 17ft long, on a 'typical' 1930s Semi.

My total layout size is 17ft x 8ft. If I'd built it lower it could've been wider than 8ft, but it would've been a heck of a lot more work, and too low for comfort.

@GJB  I salute your achievement with UK steam outline. With 8ft width my minimum radius is 3ft, but it's American O Scale, so locos (diesels) & stock cope well; 3ft radius would not work with UK outline modern diesels with buffers & scale couplings. There have been some interesting Threads recently on the minimum radius for O scale, the slightly unhelpful answer to which is - "it depends!"

Edit :- what make are the trees? They look really good!!

Hi F-UnitMad

I agree regarding the necessary compromise between height and width. I could have got a little more width by lowering the baseboards, which in turn would have allowed me to have a higher backscene. However I went for a comfortable working height which gave me the 9ft width.

I must say that any achievement is really down to Richard Webster of Lionheart  (now Lionheart/Dapol). Had it not been for his reassurances regarding the ability of his models to run around R2 curves I think I may still be working in a smaller gauge.

The longest stock I run consists of a Lionheart 43xx along with a 4 coach suburban set, again from Lionheart. I am hoping to post a short video if my wife will show me how to use her iPad. It has to be said that when running round the curves at either end the buffers are compressed but there is no buffer locking. Add to that the fact that standing on the inside of the curve any overhang of the coach bodies is on the opposite side and therefore not too noticeable.

Overall the image conveyed is not to bad, and as the name implies - Thisledoo, and it certainly does for me.

The trees are by MBR models in Poland. I think the ones I am using are actually for 00 gauge. They do produce larger versions but with a backscene of 7" they would, in my opinion, overpower the layout. They are first class!

Gerry

• Like 2

I have just noticed that the two photos just posted show quite clearly the 'high tech' method I use for point control. Wire in tube running along channels cut in the cork track bed, with bike spoke holders (?) soldered to the end! Polarity is changed by the switches on the control panel, rather than depending on switchblade contact.

Gerry

Edited by GJB
Correct spelling mistake
  • Like 1

A bit of activity at Thiseldoo.

5811 undertaking shunting duties.

Auto coach and 14xx just about to depart.

Mogul 6336 heads though at speed with a 4 coach suburban set.

All three locos are Lionheart/Dapol, and as with the majority of my motive power stock they have been 'weathered' by the very talented David Magill (AKA Jinty). 

The pictures show clearly there are a lots of jobs yet to be done, groundwork/ballasting/population etc.........to mention a few!

1357382848_image1(2).jpeg.b4ab7bcfd8cfe58dbe5e912e67a1398c.jpeg1612154907_image0(5).jpeg.a09d01ea4bfe216543bb30f0887cfa05.jpeg  

1908714397_image0(6).jpeg.bdae1a959478e58e89030f2154343fbe.jpeg

• Like 10