New run of Dapol class 58s

bmthtrains - David

I quite like the 58020 with 'Railfreight' plate on the front... I remember seeing plates on the real locos, first wondering what it was until I got close enough.  It gave them a special character in my view.  I particularly liked 58050 'Toton Traction Depot' in Coal Sector with a black 'Railfrieght' plate on the front... but the red stripe will do me too :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

58001,2 3 were built with slightly different details to the others so surprised they chose 58002 and 58003. It's all in the rear bottom corners of the cabs.

I already have 58012 and 58023 which both have white cantrail stripes and I've made the as built 'd' handrails.

I would have preferred one of the higher numbers in red stripe with orange cantrails and pods on the cab roofs with full shield handrails to stop drivers walking from one cab to the other using the footplate. I think it was 58036 onwards which had these details.

Dapol supplied the full height shielded handrails with the Red stripe versions which is not wrong as most were retro fitted whilst still in red stripe livery.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After much agonising over the cost, went for the pair of new red stripe ones.

I now have 4 and can replicate that scene at Saltley where you could see 4 in a row through the wire fence.

The livery is exactly the same as the previous batch (58012 & 58023) except that the Railfreight logo on 58003 has been printed in red and silver like a nameplate rather than red and white as in the first batch - Fox Transfers on order!

As in the first batch, you have to finish off the livery yourself! At the time of first release there was an article in MR by Ben Ando showing you how to do this.

Here's my photos of so treated 58023 with the new ones 58003 & 58020.

Back of the cab should be black not grey.

Handrails white not silver, inc. ones on the solebar.

Channel to be black right over the roof to bottom of cab to give that characteristic yellow pointy bit.   

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by alan24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looked at the new ones on a certain Sheffield based website, and they all appear to have daylight between the body and solebar. Whether they just need reseating, or it is a manufacturing defect, an in the flesh examination will be required before any purchase......

• RMweb Premium

I was just about to say the same, noting that in most pics of the new batch that there was definite daylight visible between the central body section and the chassis frame.  Were the earlier batches like that because if not, I may trawl around for a cheaper second hand earlier example instead.

i cant see daylight between body and chassis on my old ones

maybe the chassis frame got slightly bent or something like that. 

i might buy a new batch one but I'll wait to see one at a show and check it looks right. 

with the new ones what are the light functions like? what is performance like? 

tim