Bachmann BR Stanier Mogul - Re-livery options from BR to LMS livery

Garethp8873

I have the option of purchasing a Bachmann 31-691 BR Stanier Mogul with early emblem and 31-692 BR Stanier Mogul with late crest. Whilst I was going to just purchase one BR model with the intention of getting it re-liveried into a LMS livery not yet done by Bachmann, I noticed all three models including the LMS example released from Bachmann come with different Fowler tenders.

I'm now thinking of getting both BR models and getting both repainted into LMS liveries. Has anyone else here done the same as myself?

So far I am looking at LMS 2966 on the HMRS website as one option. Can anyone confirm if either 31-691/692 would be suitable candidates and is 2966's livery plain black please?

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/2-6-0-lms-s5f-2966-at-lichfield-tv-ll-rhs-steps-hl-bridge-right.html

All the Stanier Crabs were built with tenders with noticeable snap head rivets, coal rails and with the edge beading laid on edge above the side panels. Most retained this type to the end, and about half the original tender number. According to the Engine History Card, 2966 was one that kept its original tender to the end, but photos prove otherwise: He final tender was similar to above except the edge beading was laid flat on the side panels, but still had coal rails. The flat beading is often difficult to make out in photos.

Below is by S Dewey and shows the engine at Bushbury in March 1963.

I've now looked through the records more closely. The only engine to receive that tender type in LMS days was 13284. She ran some trials in summer 1934 and was fitted with tender 4220, flush sided without coal rails, which she kept until 8 March 1938 when she regained her original tender, 4553. The next earliest tender type change I can find was not until 1955, so otherwise all engines in LMS days had riveted tenders with coal rails. Note that 13284 was different in other ways to earlier engines, in having a Stanier hooter instead of a Midland-type bell whistle, and had only one mechanical lubricator on the right running plate rather than two.

42966 Bushbury mpd 3-63 S Dewey.jpg

Edited by LMS2968
More information
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just for the record, 13284 at Wembley on 11 July 1934 on one of the test runs with the ex-L&YR Dynamometer Car behind the flush sided and coal rail-less tender. It's the only photo we have of that engine tender combination; in fact it's the only one we have with that number - shame you can't read it! Unfortunately, the photographer is unknown.

13284 Wembley Test train 11-7-34.jpg

• Like 3