A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...Now Rotherham CTE6 Trolleybus radio controlled/FCS test.

Red Devil

Slowly getting back into building 'stuff' recently completed are this Rotherham Renown and Sheffield Olympic, Renown is the EFE diecast and Olympic LBC resin kit.

Both feature semi scratch front axles using Faller kingpins but wider for use in 4mm vehicles. Motors are Nigel Lawton 12v rated mini motors, which are a direct fit into a Faller motor mount.....coupled with a 3v battery give a decent running speed.

Edited by Red Devil
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• Red Devil changed the title to A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...now a Rotherham Trolleybus test

First test run of a Rotherham Daimler/Roe rebodied trolleybus......A cut and shut from 2 Corgi Roe 4 wheelers gives a reasonable Rotherham Daimler double decker, this again is battery powered but will feature radio control for speed and stop/start. I've gone that way as it makes building the overhead easier, I can solder it all up without having to worry about overscale insulation etc. 

Shown running on a 3.7v  lipo, so nominally 'flat out'. Both rear axles drive, my usual set up Nigel Lawton motor in Faller motor mount, then belt drive to connect axles.....Nigel Lawton belts.....

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Nice work. Have you seen Barnsley Model Railway Club's "Castle Oswick" layout? They use their own custom-built chassis fitted with infra-red sensors for stop/start and speed control. I think there's a video somewhere online.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fodenway said:

Nice work. Have you seen Barnsley Model Railway Club's "Castle Oswick" layout? They use their own custom-built chassis fitted with infra-red sensors for stop/start and speed control. I think there's a video somewhere online.

Yeah......seen it several times, I've a fair bit of experience with road stuff.....my old layout was reasonably well known for 'other stuff' :D

• Like 5

For those who haven’t seen it, I’ve posted this. The layout is called The Yorkshire Coast Tramway. Castle Oswick is actually the other ‘half’ of the layout, which features a large coastal terminal in OO.

Robert,  Barnsley M.R.C.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• Red Devil changed the title to A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...PS2 Windover test.

Another one done, EFE Yorkshire Traction PS2 Windover, lightly reworked with a bit of weathering etc, same build as before 3.7v battery, Nigel Lawton motor in Faller mount, Faller gears, widened front axle, sol expert wheels etc.....

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2021 at 19:05, Erichill16 said:

For those who haven’t seen it, I’ve posted this. The layout is called The Yorkshire Coast Tramway. Castle Oswick is actually the other ‘half’ of the layout, which features a large coastal terminal in OO.

Robert,  Barnsley M.R.C.

Four enjoyable minutes thanks 

• Like 1

• Red Devil changed the title to A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...Now RC trolleybus test.....

Just thought I’d post a couple of pictures of the vehicles from Barnsley MRC layout.

FIRST OF ALL, NONE OF THIS IS MY WORK. I STRUGGLE TO BUILD A KIT. 

I’ve borrowed them to photograph and share on here.

All the vehicles are basically EFEs that have been modified with bespoke parts, all made by the clubs president.

FACE745E-E76B-4594-8FFE-0A2B1DB277B7.jpeg.cc301a8e683e501d5e7284c32eea085c.jpeg

• Like 2

Here’s a picture showing the ‘workings’ . All hand made, no plastic and no Faller. They were built about 25 years ago, about the same time Faller were introducing their version. 
To me the ‘eight legged’ is the most impressive.

Its possible to  see the infrared transmitter and receiver that control the speed and the ability to stop the vehicles. 
I can’t remember if the video shows the vehicles stopping at the tram crossing and bus5CD4B4E8-1E20-4247-99D3-31A8D773BF58.jpeg.e596f88f8b01f3f9de955d46fd90fc78.jpegBF0B1BBC-CEB6-460E-B443-93E40A5413AF.jpeg.a19e85c5adff8fb0b9986d56f9271a95.jpeg stops but this is all possible be using stationery IR transmitters embedded in the roadway. There are movable guidewires just below the surface of the road that allow the vehicles to take different routes around the layout. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• Red Devil changed the title to A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...Now another RC trolleybus build.....

Having pretty much sussed the Rotherham Daimler Roe rebuilds....4 currently in various stages thoughts turned to the original Daimler CTE6 East Lancs single deckers...

Whilst there is a resin kit out there I've never seen one and to be honest others from the same stable don't really do it for me....

So enter a bitsa....lots of various bits hacked and cobbled together....so far so good so I'll start on the chassis which will be basically the same in function to the ones in the double deckers.

Pic of prototype also for those not aware of them....I'll leave it to the readers to let me know if it looks nothing like it should!

279266972_10159687104664351_655680575334026020_n.jpg

s-l400.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Red Devil changed the title to A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...Now Rotherham CTE6 radio controlled/FCS test.

Rotherham Daimler CTE6 has progressed a bit.....

RC chassis is 95% done, basic body shape progressing ok, still a few tweaks then onto detailing.....

Hooked it all up tonight for a quick test run, chassis is a widened FCS effort coupled with 100mah lipo driving through a Sol Expert dual axle drive RC from Micron RC.

Overall so far so good....

• Like 4

• Red Devil changed the title to A couple of Fallerised south Yorkshire buses...Now Rotherham CTE6 Trolleybus radio controlled/FCS test.
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Rotherham Daimler posing on current layout build, track is fabricated girder rail in EM, all dead rail with battery/radio control for teams and trolleybuses.

IMG_20221205_124324.jpg

Was there locations where  trams and trolleybuses ran together?  Did they share the same overheads obviously with an additional one for the trolleybuses 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, russ p said:

Was there locations where  trams and trolleybuses ran together?  Did they share the same overheads obviously with an additional one for the trolleybuses 

Yep, a few places, generally they had different overhead, but occasionally trams ran using a skid to rail for current return using trolleybus live. The layout built is fictitious as really Rotherham trolleybuses and Sheffield trams didn't really run over same roads, although there was a very short time post war when it was very close....my build is a bit of an extension on that.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1