TOLWORTH SHOWTRAIN November 13/14 is 'GO!'

TEAMYAKIMA

Whilst I am not a member or the organising club, Hampton Court MRS, I thought it would  be a nice idea to give the 2021 TOLWORTH SHOWTRAIN some publicity - if for no other reason than I want people to see my layout!

Yes, after two years stuck in my garage, my Chinese HO layout, BEIJIAO, is finally going to see the light of day on November 13/14. However, I haven't been idle in those two years and so, even if you have seen the layout before, you will see significant changes. This double-banked coal train is one of our USP's.

Yes, the picture quality is poor, but the sound of three locos is amazing - do come and see us and hear it for yourself in the flesh.

For full details of the TOLWORTH SHOWTRAIN and Hampton Court MRS please visit their website ...........................

http://hamptoncourtmrs.com/

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

So what is the position regarding transport from Surbiton?  Is there a charabanc to the venue or are we reliant on service buses?  Bill

Haven't you got one of those electric scooters yet Bish ? Look good coming along the dual carriageway !!!

Hope to be there.

Ray

The TfL service buses that run from Surbiton station to Southborough High School (the nearest stop to Tolworth Recreation Centre) include the K4, 71, and 465. The K4 picks up at Stop NN in St. Marks Hill, while the 71 and 465 picks up at Stop NK in Claremont Road.

The walk from the bus stop is parallel with the Kingston Bypass (not pleasant when it is raining), but does take you pass the Ace of Spades Cafe where you can have breakfast.

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

My one experience of the charabanc was horrendous. Although I haven't tried the service buses they can only be better than that. I now go by car.

The show is always very good.

Get there early, park your car and go round the corner for breakfast. The catering at the venue was fairly abysmal the last couple of years.

Mind you, I think that the café has changed hands again and has another name. I noticed on the way to the Isle of Wight the weekend before last. Started off as Nik Naks, then I think Ace of Spades and now something like JK's kitchen ?

All the best

Ray

9 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Get there early, park your car and go round the corner for breakfast. The catering at the venue was fairly abysmal the last couple of years.

All the best

Ray

Do you think that I'm paying for petrol when I have a Grumpy pass?

Drive from church to Lee and park in a friend's drive.  0926 to W'loo East, Waterloo, Surbiton arriving 1030.  A charabanc would obviate the slow limp from the bus stop.  I'm hopeful for wide gangways and sparse attendance as it's my first exhibition since Tonbridge 2020.  That is why I'm going on Sunday.  Breakfast and lunch in the rucksack.

Bill

I'm a little out of the loop as I'm not really involved in the club day-to-day anymore, but I suspect there will be a bus, and I'd expect the timetable to be posted on the website.

The bus (which we pay for) has always found some way to have a teething problem, we have had the first bus depart from the wrong busstop at Surbiton empty, we have had someone crash into the back of it, and obviously all the normal traffic problems (including some road closures associated with the remembrance commemorations on the Sunday morning) but it is well used, so we do like to provide it.

We are within the TFL oyster area, so if you have a pass, particularly a free one, there are several service bus options as mentioned, and the best are the K4/71/485 (which pre-pandemic added up to 7 buses per hour) there are others that go to 'Tolworth' or even run down Red Lion Road/Fullers Way, but they are less frequent, and a longer walk. 

image.png.325ef08b80a396b6e1be7fc1d055ea9f.png

• Informative/Useful 1

On 19/10/2021 at 13:13, wainwright1 said:

Mind you, I think that the café has changed hands again and has another name. I noticed on the way to the Isle of Wight the weekend before last. Started off as Nik Naks, then I think Ace of Spades and now something like JK's kitchen ?

All the best

Ray

Unless it's changed, that Cafe is Saturday only.

Dave.

10 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Unless it's changed, that Cafe is Saturday only.

Dave.

Quite right.

The year before last (I think) the catering at the centre was virtually non-existent,  so we had a word with the café owner, then he went around for a chat with the exhibition organisers and he opened up specially for the exhibition visitors on the Sunday. However, as I previously mentioned, I think that the café may have changed hands again. We will see.

All the best

Ray

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

That's not a legal requirement , it's up to you to decide now 

As I commented for the Uckfield show, I was not impressed by the number of maskless people there when there were polite signs requesting people to wear them.  It's not just up to you - it's also up to the venue/organiser.  Sure, they can't enforce it, but what's happened to common courtesy?  (I think I can answer that myself - no one gives a **** about what others think.)

• Agree 3

We’ve had this argument across many exhibition threads .

My thoughts are , that unless we are brave at some point , masks will become normal , forever.

Do we want to live like that ? Live in fear of covid…..forever…..isn’t everyone double jabbed now , so what was the point ? Yes, you can still get it ( my daughter did, 2 people at work did and I was shaking one of their hands just before the positive test )..but isn’t the idea it won’t kill you now ?

Id be very afraid to live in a country where wearing a surgical mask becomes a “ common courtesy “.

16 minutes ago, snitchthebudgie said:

As I commented for the Uckfield show, I was not impressed by the number of maskless people there when there were polite signs requesting people to wear them.  It's not just up to you - it's also up to the venue/organiser.  Sure, they can't enforce it, but what's happened to common courtesy?  (I think I can answer that myself - no one gives a **** about what others think.)

More or less I agree with you, it is a courtesy and I did try to wear a mask at Uckfield but my glasses just misted up and I couldn't see a damned thing! I took the mask off, but then felt anxious because there was no chance of social distancing. People who don't wear glasses were quite often trying to wear a mask at Uckfield but the things get so wet after a while that they too just took them off too. From personal experience I think the life of a mask is about 20 minutes. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that shows are no longer a thing I wish to do, the restrictions, and the anxieties, simply turn what should be a very pleasant occasion into one which is best avoided. A pity, but it is what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

We’ve had this argument across many exhibition threads .

My thoughts are , that unless we are brave at some point , masks will become normal , forever.

Do we want to live like that ? Live in fear of covid…..forever…..isn’t everyone double jabbed now , so what was the point ? Yes, you can still get it ( my daughter did, 2 people at work did and I was shaking one of their hands just before the positive test )..but isn’t the idea it won’t kill you now ?

Id be very afraid to live in a country where wearing a surgical mask becomes a “ common courtesy “.

Sorry, no fear involved.  Mask wearing is common all through SE Asia during the winter flu and cold season.  Perhaps they have the advantage of living in a culture that values society as a whole, rather than glorifies the individual and it's so called 'rights'.  

And as for 'isn't everyone double jabbed now' - no they're not - look at the figures freely published.  And I think there is a little thing called a booster jab coming your way soon.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, snitchthebudgie said:

Sorry, no fear involved.  Mask wearing is common all through SE Asia during the winter flu and cold season.  Perhaps they have the advantage of living in a culture that values society as a whole, rather than glorifies the individual and it's so called 'rights'.  

Agree with that. Where I used to work we often had Japanese tourists wearing face masks. I thought it quite amusing/quirky at the time - little did I know..................

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, snitchthebudgie said:

And as for 'isn't everyone double jabbed now' - no they're not - look at the figures freely published.  And I think there is a little thing called a booster jab coming your way soon.....

Asia has always done far more than we have, even out side of Covid…

Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan have had increased health measures for a decade, that we still ignore…Such as:

1. disinfectant mats to walk on entry to buildings

2. routinely disinfecting handrails, knobs, handles.
3. Regular temperature testing (heat testing supoorted by security with temperature testing), on the streets and at public transport/ shopping facilities.

4. Wearing of gloves

Theyve consistently done more to protect society since SarS and its highly likely thats why they've had much less impact than we have, despite being on Chinas doorstep.

sadly a favourite local ex-pats and British tourists in Singapore is closing.. the Penny Black..

https://mothership.sg/2021/10/penny-black-boat-quay-close-down/

Thus ending Britain's last presence of an English pub in the former colony.

The owner is blaming covid rules… but then again do you blame them.. a pub is a super spreader.

I plan to be at Tolworth, the sports halls are high ceiling.

I’ll be wearing a mask, its respectful, if nothing else.

i’ll be looking to see if any random oo gauge passengers are wearing a mask to.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, snitchthebudgie said:

Mask wearing common throughout SE Asia ... carry on then mate , this isn't SE Asia ...

I am far from an anti vax nut case but when people start dictating what we should do I start to get a little cross . You do what you must do and I'll do what I must do 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Edited to remove the hall plans - something has gone awry with the versions I've been sent, otherwise we are going to need to saw a big chunk out of the middle of various layouts! I assume that the list is right...

image.png.8e4bee6b1bf063c4f240b6d450f7cf6c.png

Edited by jonhall