Scenery Help

Morning All!

Just wondering if I can get some assistance with scenery especially hills/valleys etc.

I am not a big fan of polystyrene/Styrofoam. In fact I can't cope with the feel and noise it makes when it is being handled.

Are they are other alternatives that can be used to model  hills/valleys etc?

• RMweb Gold

I’ve mainly used insulation board, eg celotex. It’s still a foam per se, but cuts very differently to polystyrene etc. Buy it from the likes of B&Q in various size sheets.

• RMweb Gold

Use card or wood formers to create the main frame of the scenery then cover with a lattice made of card strips from pet food boxes or cereal boxes. Fix with hot glue gun, then cover the tissue paper, kithen towel, blue paper towels or newspaper soaked in pva or wallpaper paste, then cover with plaster bandage. I will see if i can find any old pics for u

Edited by ianLMS
  • Agree 2

I use two different methods for creating landscapes, the first is the lattice method. I cut strips of cardboard and arrange in a over and under arrangement. I then apply builders plaster scrim and pva it onto the lattice. Once set I then apply industrial grade plaster impregnated bandage (modroc) I bulk buy this and it works out to less than a £1 a roll.

method two, is I create a rough landscape from 5mm thick foamboard and hot glue gun it together. I then use expanding foam between the foam board and once set cut to shape. Plaster bandage is then applied over the top.

04749214-8EB3-4810-BDD5-2FDAB9A00980.jpeg

B217F135-34D5-4E7E-A286-6B5186F957C5.jpeg

5A772554-DC64-4E6B-A81E-6297D474AB75.jpeg

D5104D49-FD28-4206-B67C-06855D703C0B.jpeg

4CACC759-485E-4CD1-B56E-42CE3B1AD018.jpeg

• Like 1

If you have access to used newspaper: try paper mache.

Once the lattice of Kellogg box card is complete, dip 20x20cm squares of newspaper in a 50% solution of PVA and water with a drop of washing up liquid. Once covered leave overnight and repeat until you have about a 5mm thickness. This is now almost as strong as fibreglass. One advantage of this method is that it can be built over temporary supports which, when removed, leave a void that can be used for access.

• Like 2