Powering Kato Unitrack Turnout switches

I want to power Kato Unitrack Turnout switch controllers but i have a dcc controller and NO Kato Power pack. 

How would i do this? 

NOTE: I am using HO Unitrack not N Scale Unitrack. 

• RMweb Premium

Are  you using the Kato switches (blue with grey handle)? If so, then Kato 24-842 N Gauge - Unitrack AC - DC Power Converter (RRP £6) will let you power them from most power supplies.

If you're not using the Kato switches the you need to provide a 12V DC supply, with the ability to change polarity. A DPDT switch should do the job, although I'd perhaps be a little cautious about applying the voltage all the time in case the motor coil can't cope with it. A non-latching DPDT switch should work in that case.

Steven B.

As I understand the Kato official turnout switches, they are simply passing contact reversing switches.    The input to those is 12v DC, the output is a brief amount of DC which reverses depending on direction switch is moving.  

The Kato AC-DC adaptor is only needed if the power supply is AC (ie. an old style transformer).   If the power supply is DC (modern power-brick), then just need that, 12v. 

If using own switches, must use momentary action (non-latching) switches, such as push-buttons, or centre-biased toggle switches which return to centre.  Or use an extra circuitry (simple electronics) to ensure the current only flows briefly.  

• Agree 1