Looking for Class 86/7 RCH-TDM cable details

I'm on the lookout for the jumper cable fittings used on the fronts of Class 86 and 87 locos in 1988.  I've tried Google to no avail, and I can't find them on Shawplan's website.  They must be available as I've seen detailed Hornby 86s with them fitted for sale on Tatbay but despite my efforts I'm drawing a blank, unless I'm doing something wrong.  So, I'm asking my fellow modellers of trains with coathangers on the roof, any suggestions where I might find RCH jumpers for the cab fronts of AC electrics?

• Like 1

Have you thought about adapting the Heljan 47 tdm cables that came on the sprue.? They came with every 47 Heljan did. And i Have used them myself. You can substitute the actual cable for wire. Squirrell rail did my 86 with some and it came out well 

20210225_102656.jpg

I did think about them, but they don't seem to be available as spares when I checked both Gaugemaster (the current spares supplier) and Howes (the previous spares supplier).  Frustratingly, a friend who had a large fleet of Heljan tubby Duffs had just flogged off his surplus spares including the unused RCH sprues when I asked him if he had any knocking around!

You originally mentioned 1988, are you after the original version fitted at that time that completely enclosed the RCH connector or the revised version that was just a bracket to retain the RCH connector against the cab front which became the standard due to the issues they experienced with the original?

On 12/10/2021 at 20:03, GRUNFOS said:

Hi Mark,

Just had a rummage around and have found enough cables from my Heljan 47s to fit on 2 locos. If you would like them PM me and I will send them to you.

Regards 

Paul.

Thanks for the offer and going to all that trouble.  I've had a tinker with my 3d printer to see if I could do something, given they are tiny and my printer is a cheap and basic model I wasn't hopeful, but I'm pleased with the results.  Not 100% but close enough from normal viewing distances, so I might have solved the problem.  But thanks again, that's what makes this forum a good place, that people are able to help like this.

• Thanks 1

I had thought of 3d printing these but I felt etching was probably better for TDM fittings because they are fairly flat, but I have never done any design work for etching before.

I have some older etched TDM fittings which I must have bought back in the 1990s.

I 3d printed the older 86/4 & 87 style MW boxes & was quite pleased with the results. I am happy to share the .stl for those with you (you may have this already because I have shared it before, but files quickly get lost in a forum).