Pre Weathered Track

Hi Stu,

I confess that I haven't seen any pre/weathered track for sale. which doesn't mean that there isn't any.

On the other hand I have had a brief excursion into painting track, before laying it, on the grounds that painting laid track must be confined to Convict Punishment Regimes.

Woodland Scenics do fibre tip pens, which are nice colours but the fibre tips are rather large, so ok for sleeper tops and dapping rust on chairs, but difficult for rail sides.  They also fray quite quickly, so have their uses.

Two Airbrush experts had advice for applying weathering to rails, both very different, but both quite swift.  Both involved small nozzles, as might be expected.  The first got close in with the air pressure on the low side and slowly eased the metal/oil colours onto the rail sides, easier than it sounds on the grounds of the low pressure.  The second was very Henry Cooper All-Spice - splash it on all over {yer got be a certain age or above to remember that one}  The principle was to spray generously, rather than precisely, then wipe the rail tops with an Isopropanol cloth straight after.

Both were tried and both got good results with simple principles.  What was evident, was the application of the paint before the track was laid, which made the whole process so much easier.  Hope this might be of assistance.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Are there any manufacturers that produce pre/weathered track? Not sure I have the patience or skill to paint the rails and sleeper before ballasting.

Yes - but I'm sure it isn't what you are looking for. Micro Engineering Code 83 track for On30 - but it is still 16.5mm track gauge !!

Click Here for link to ngtrains.com for Micro Engineering track

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Yes - but I'm sure it isn't what you are looking for. Micro Engineering Code 83 track for On30 - but it is still 16.5mm track gauge !!

Click Here for link to ngtrains.com for Micro Engineering track

Thanks Mike, you’re right not quite what I’m looking for but good to see someone has done it. Should have said I’m looking for OO concrete sleepers.

• Friendly/supportive 1