18000 Gas Turbine - first impressions

Sun Street

It has absolutely lived up to my expectations! Thank you Rails!

20211008_122457.jpg.04af5c972042ae6e1f9a137ab47f4f0a.jpg

As Buchshee is due to go to Gaydon Motor Museum on 30/31 October, I asked if the delivery could be expedited, it was superbly delivered on Monday, sadly I could not get to Milton Keynes

1 Sound  is exceptional, and is appropriate from what I recall of seeing the real thing at Challow ,probably running on the stops - the image has never gone away.

2 Finish is superb, mine's black and silver. there is no overspray anywhere.

3 Performance seems very good, but a full test or running-in has not yet been possible [see below].

4 My test track, built for most eventualities is second radius, the loco will definitely not run on such a tight radius, so........, let's see what happens when my new extension to Buchshee is completed.

5 The only gripe that I have concerns the whistles. Both were damaged when the loco arrived, an attempt to glue them failed, so.... What to do? I am not that churlish as to send it back when a cure is within my skill base.

A ferret around showed that an old Hornby Thomas's safety valves were near enough identical, so out came the pliers and pin drill.

Because of the roof angle, the hole was started at 45degrees to gain a purchase, then corrected to vertical. Tweezers and a dab of superglue finished the job off nicely. They are far more robust and appropriate for exhibition rough-and-tumble.

20211008_114626.jpg.01fd5b0b83245f8bca2720823e26de5e.jpg20211008_114539.jpg.b8d14fa9c3f76219069291ec93dee3b8.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sun Street said:

I do not see a work-around, or significant comment about the loco, just discussion of how to source a sound decoder, and upgrade the speakers.

Also, the thread title is no longer relevant as they are delivered, not just announced. ;)

But it is also in the correct subforum, given that it is a Rails of Sheffield product and not a Heljan product - Heljan merely being Rails choice to make it for them.

And you don't see a work-around because you didn't ask there.

But there has also been a discussion of it's ability to handle curves and its general performance in addition to sound questions.

And thus, given that almost everyone interested in the loco in question is in the correct subforum and reading that thread, you are more likely to get a response to your issue there.

Edited by mdvle
  • Agree 1

• AY Mod locked this topic