Hornby loco/tender connection

lee74clarke

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but typically I can find no refence to it now. Please could someone tell me the best way to 'bypass' the loco to tender connection on this Hornby D16 chassis, basically so the loco will run without the tender?

This is for DC operation only. I feel certain I read the method recently, but then wonder if that was a DCC related project?

My thanks in advance.

D16.jpg

1 hour ago, 313201 said:

Hi 

Reducing the number of pickup wheels is ok if you have electrofrog turnouts / points ( whichever term you prefer to call them ) but as the D16 is a 4-4-0 locomotive the mote pickup wheels the better.

In respect of bypassing the loco to tender plug it requires a bit of investigation because 2 of the wires will be from the loco's own pickups going through to the dcc socket ( I assume is mounted in the tender ) and the other 2 wires will connect with the motor via the dcc socket.

Thd best way to do this if you want to not use tender pickups is to open up the loco, investigate the routes of the 4 wires and proceed from there.

As 2 of them will run directly to the pickups, you need to find out which these are, dewire the motor and connect the pickup wires to the motor terminals.

Once this is done, place the chassis minus the body onto the track and test it, if the loco runs forwards when you set your controller to forward running then the wiring is correct, if the loco runs backwards when the controller is set for forward running just switch the wires at the motor, retest and everything should be ok.

The plug can then be discarded but cut the other 2 wires off it and keep them, you never know when you will need wire especially pickup to motor wire.

Hope this helps, if you need any further help we're all here to answer any questions you have.

I appreciate the reply. The number of pick ups did concern me slightly, I must admit. I will investigate whether to give it a go, if not, i'll wait and hope to find a spare tender and take the easy option.

Many Thanks,

Lee

2 hours ago, lee74clarke said:

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but typically I can find no refence to it now. Please could someone tell me the best way to 'bypass' the loco to tender connection on this Hornby D16 chassis, basically so the loco will run without the tender?

This is for DC operation only. I feel certain I read the method recently, but then wonder if that was a DCC related project?

My thanks in advance.

D16.jpg

If you want to test the chassis as is, straighten a small staple out and see if the end will push into the plug, if it will bend the staple in half and push it into holes 1 and 2, repeat with another staple linking holes 3 & 4. Make sure they don't touch each other. Your loco should now run. If you're happy with this and want to do the job as you envisaged, remove the sticky tape between the wheels in your picture, the 2 wires there are from the motor, cut them there and pull the ends connected to the plug out of the hole. The 2 wires left still connected to the plug are from the wheels, cut them so you can shove them up through the hole and connect one to each motor wire. Swap them over if it runs backwards.

• Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

If you want to test the chassis as is, straighten a small staple out and see if the end will push into the plug, if it will bend the staple in half and push it into holes 1 and 2, repeat with another staple linking holes 3 & 4. Make sure they don't touch each other. Your loco should now run. If you're happy with this and want to do the job as you envisaged, remove the sticky tape between the wheels in your picture, the 2 wires there are from the motor, cut them there and pull the ends connected to the plug out of the hole. The 2 wires left still connected to the plug are from the wheels, cut them so you can shove them up through the hole and connect one to each motor wire. Swap them over if it runs backwards.

That's really helpful, thankyou. I am sure what your describing, is what I have read before somewhere, but couldn't for the life of me find it again. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again

Lee

Edited by lee74clarke

• 3 weeks later...

Normally I bin tender pickups as a matter of course but the Hornby 4-4-0 chassis with traction tyres doesn't have enough  weight on its trailing drivers or bogie for reliable pick up and needs the tender pickups even with live frog points.