BR Western Region : Paint Colours for Buildings : Cream

• RMweb Premium

I am currently painting a small collection of buildings for my WR layout. I ve been trying to find a suitable paint colour to represent the cream used on buildings. I understand that the cream used was mixed by hand and as such varied between various locations, from  a rich yellow cream to an almost off white colour. I have tried both Railmatch WR cream but this is to yellow compared to colour images l ve have, l suspect its really the cream used on WR coaching stock. I ve also tried Precision Paints LSWR  cream which was recommended to me, once again this is too yellow for my liking.

Could any Western Region modellers please recommend a suitable colour and manufacture please?

Many thanks in advance

Bob C

From what I remember, Clifton Down station was repainted in 1954 for a royal visit and the cream was very similar to the carriage colour. I was only seven at the time, so unfortunately paid no attention to how the colours were mixed. An official reference is here (scroll down past the GWR part).

https://www.stationcolours.com/gwr

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark said:

Have you considered doing your own mix? Start with white and add a tiny bit of yellow until you achieve the shade of cream you want.

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for replying, to be honest if there are no suitable paints available, then that's my plan "B" 

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

From what I remember, Clifton Down station was repainted in 1954 for a royal visit and the cream was very similar to the carriage colour. I was only seven at the time, so unfortunately paid no attention to how the colours were mixed. An official reference is here (scroll down past the GWR part).

https://www.stationcolours.com/gwr

Hi 

That's, the reference l used for the first colours l tried, l found the cream to be very yellow, hence why l tried the Railmatch next, that was slightly lighter but in bright light still very yellow.

Thanks 

Bob C

GWR paint schemes vary quite a bit and ended up being quite a mixed bag.

Im sure Stationmaster will be along soon to put us all right but you have light and dark stone, brown and cream. Spear toped fencing was/ should be black. Ive also seen it in green as well. 

There were colours such as building chocolate which was a more purple shade of brown. Benches were another shade of chocolate. 

• RMweb Premium

Its strange how things work out.  I ve been doing some minor renovation to my daughters bed room. The colour she chose as a base colour was an off white made by Farrow  and Ball called Tallow.  When applied to a surface, like most paints the colour changes as it dries. To my surprise the white was actually a very light cream once dried. Comparison to colour photos confirmed that it is a spot on match for aged WR cream paint!

I have painted a few items with a thinned down mix of "Tallow" and it looks very good indeed.

Small tester pots (100ml) are available from B&Q, that should be enough paint to last a long time!

When l get a moment, l ll upload a couple of photos of finished buildings.

Bob C

• Like 1