Does anyone recognise this LMS van partially seen at Nottingham Midland around 1934?

Rail-Online

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Aire Head said:

Looks like it could be an ExL&Y type.

The number suggests a LNWR type, because L&YR wagons had 130,000 added to their existing numbers. This gave a range of 130,001-169,999 with lots of gaps.

LNWR wagons had 200,000 added to their existing numbers. This gave a range of 200,001-278,999 for normal traffic vehicles with lots of gaps.

Beyond that I cannot say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Leafing through LNWR Wagons Vol. 2, I think this must be a D46A refrigerator van, 225 built between 1911 and 1922. I can only suppose that in LMS days the branding was changed from "Refrigerator Van" to "Insulated".

Identifying features:

• Most LNWR insulated vans and the like had a single diagonal washer plate running from the bottom of the door to the top end corner; D46A seems to be the only design with a second washer plate running from the top of the door to the bottom end corner. (In all cases the timber frame, hidden behind the horizontal boarding, was on both diagonals, forming an X.)
  • The odd-looking "cove" roof profile at the eves, in fact a length of triangular timber acting as the side piece for the doubly-boarded and insulated roof.
  • Proximity to the horsebox strongly suggests a fitted or piped vehicle. These vans were built with vacuum brake and given screw couplings but photographic evidence indicates some were piped only. 
Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 3

That is interesting, there are no LMS period photos of these vehicles in the LNWR wagon book so this confirms the livery.  I seem to recall the LMS re-classified other Refrigerator vehicles to Insulated in the 1930s (ex MR vehicles?), so this all fits nicely.

Cheers Tony

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1