Sculptamold drying issues

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just started using Sculptamold for the first time yesterday and I thought it would dry over a couple of hours but I’ve just checked, and it’s still a little damp.

I’ve put it on top of some Woodland Scenics polystyrene risers and wondering if I’ve done something wrong, (though I followed the directions of 2 parts Sculptormold to 1 part water) or it just needs more time to dry?

Any advise would be great.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• TravisM changed the title to Sculptamold drying issues
  • RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Nile said:

A couple of days rather than a couple of hours. Depends how thick it is, and humidity. Not the stuff to use if you are in a hurry.

Thanks Nile, I only put a thin layer on first just to see how it goes and I’ve left it outside for the moment, so hopefully it will dry quicker.  I’m just wondering if I should have used Woodland Scenics plaster instead, but I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

F62CA192-B7C1-4AF3-85A3-B89A3262906A.jpeg

45D93502-2873-4E32-8941-4F5D6B095A60.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Sculptamould is basically paper fibres (posh papier mache) and does take awhile to dry out as it sets by drying rather than the chemical reaction you get with plaster based products.

As previously mentioned the setting/drying time depends on how much water you used in the mix and the environment its drying in.

What you will get for your patience is a lightweight but hard shell.

If you are building scenery over forms and the like here's a tip. Pop along to your local charity shop and ask if they have any discusting net curtains to chuck away (they often have becuase most net donated is not fit for sale). Form your rough shape with wire mesh or screwed up newspaper. Cut the nets it into strips, make a wet mix of Sculptamold, dunk the net in it and massage it so the goo is through the mesh. Lay that on your forms, add several layers massaging it all together and let it dry, As it was a wet mix it may take awhile but what you will get is a hard shell that is featherweight compare to plaster products and one that doesn't need the supporting newspaper anymore

• Informative/Useful 4

If your Scultamould has not dried by the weekend I would respectfully suggest that the environment that it is drying in has a relatively high level of humidity.  I first used Scultamould over twenty years ago and was surprised at the drying time.  I believe there is a powdered clay component along with the paper fibres and this tends to slow the drying.  Whatever you do don't wave a hair direr or hot air gun over it.  The outside of the material will dry and crack as it shrinks.  Patience is required I'm afraid.  I used it over expanded polystyrene (discarded packaging) and then used a two pack epoxy to create a river.  I must have left a few pin prick holes in the Sculptamould as the resin contacted the polystyrene in places causing bubbles to form.  Should have use a second layer of Scultamould.

Tony Comber