• RMweb Gold

So here I am again starting yet another thread, I seem to have more threads than a dressmaker, which to me seems a bit embarrassing and disheartened to a point.

There might seem a bit of deja vu here and to a point your right, I have/had started to build this in O gauge accompanied by a thread in the 7mm section but I’ve decided to downscale back to 4mm.  So why you might ask after so much effort and time into my O gauge version, well space, cost and the sheer size a small plan can take up.  I love O gauge don’t get me wrong but to complete my dream layout will mean at least 12 boards just for the scenic section, in 4mm that’s just two 4’x2’ boards, this left me very disheartened which reduced my enthusiasm no end, then there’s the sheer cost of each loco then the sound chip if you wish to go to the next level.  Yes I’m sad to be leaving behind what I’ve achieved but I’m so much happier in myself since making the decision to downscale as I know I can achieve something.  It wasn’t an easy decision but the turning point was seeing the likes of the soon to be released Acurascale class 37’s, Bachmann class 47’s and SLW class 25’s of which I used to have a class 24 and I have to say it was one of the best locos I ever had.

Having dabbled in EM gauge for a bit I didn’t want to go down the re-wheeling route again I just can’t be bothered but I want to use hand built turnouts so I’ll be building them to OO-sf standards.  This led me onto the rest of the track, I initially was going to build it all using ply sleepers with Exsctoscale chairs like I did in EM and 7mm but then I realised standard ply sleepers would look wrong due to the narrower gauge of OO so I’ve decided to go for C&L flexi which is a compromise I’m happy to make.

My thoughts then turned to the track plan which I admit I’m still pondering on, do I continue with the slightly adapted ‘what might of been’ track plan that I starting building in 7mm which I gave the depot allocation 8N to or do I just build Edge Hill diesel servicing point as it was in real life?  The this is something I can think about whilst waiting on boards and track etc but there are pros and cons with both.

So welcome to Edge Hill Diesel Servicing point…

In the early to mid 60’s Edge Hill steam shed was being run down as with most sheds towards the end of steam days, so with the need for new diesel servicing facilities it was decided to build a two road servicing shed on the site of the oldest part of the site.  As not to be confused with the steam shed (8A) the depot was given its own code 8N.

The shed was of LMR design and although originally planned as a dead end it was decided to build as an large open ended shed with two through roads, with an additional outside fuelling point.  This allowed for an increase in locos visiting the shed with quicker turnaround time and also reduced the need for locos to go further afield to Allerton etc for fuelling.

The shed itself was level two, it had two covered fuel points with inspection pits and could carry out A & B examinations, with a single story stores building running alongside with an attached two story office an amenities block with showers, toilets and canteen at one end.  Diesel fuel and supplies where brought in by rail although there was limited road access.  A large water tower and fuel tank were also a stand out futures of the depot.

Locos entered the depot like they did the steam shed, dropping down from engine shed junction via a headshunt off the up and down goods loop.  The headshunt also gave access to a number of sidings used to stable AC electric locos, again making use of the vast space of Edge Hill steam shed.  Once fuelled and serviced locos then made their way to a number of stabling sidings, some being under the bridge opposite the Liverpool to Crewe main lines with others making use of sidings in the old steam shed.

Classes seen on shed on a daily basis were 08’s, 25’s, 40’s, Peaks, 47’s and 50’s although the occasional rare visitors sometimes appeared in the form of the odd 20 or 37 and even Falcon paid it a visit once.

As mentioned previously a lot of this is unfortunately all fictional, Edge Hill did have a service shed, which 8N if I go down the ‘what if’ route is loosely based on but it was a small two road dead end building with a small stores facility, the fuel tanks and water tower did exist however and will feature on the layout either way. So you could say this is Edge Hill what could of been if a bigger depot was built.

Here’s a photo of the original serving point in the 60’s and a rather crude plan showing the prototype track plan (A) and the ‘what if’ version (B)

FFE6AD9C-555B-4491-B00B-9AD4B6EA9265.jpeg

9DB33D46-F42D-4B5C-9071-ECAD8A78E84B.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

It’s a pity it’s not in EM Edge hill was a great looking layout. But I look forward to this version as well.

Keith

Thanks Keith it’s the fact I would have to re-wheel everything in EM, I’ve been there done that and it was for me more hassle than it’s worth, don’t worry I’ll try and do OO-sf some justice.

• Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

Thanks Keith it’s the fact I would have to re-wheel everything in EM, I’ve been there done that and it was for me more hassle than it’s worth, don’t worry I’ll try and do OO-sf some justice.

I guess your mind is made up but, as you mentioned them, the SLW locos can be had with EM wheels and Accurascale have said that they will offering EM and P4 wheelsets for their 37s...

Looking forward to seeing progress.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, johndon said:

I guess your mind is made up but, as you mentioned them, the SLW locos can be had with EM wheels and Accurascale have said that they will offering EM and P4 wheelsets for their 37s...

Looking forward to seeing progress.

Thanks Keith, the fact these new locos has the options for different wheel sets does make other gauges very appealing but if I ever buy any older locos etc I’d have to go to the trouble of re-wheel all of them.

cheers 

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

You will get there Paul! The work you produce is exceptional…. Just need the drive to complete the project, something we all battle with at times!

Thank you Phil hopefully it will be up to your standards!!  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Well I seem to of got more achieved today than I have in the last few months, two new baseboards are on their way from Tim Horn and all the C&L flexi has been ordered to, I’ve also pre-ordered the first of a couple of SLW class 25’s and I’ve pre-ordered a second 37 from Accurascale.  A little root around in the garage has found quite a few chairs etc from my 4mm track building days which should tie me over until I order some more Exactoscale chairs.

The other day I had a little muck about with some N gauge track on a 4’x1’ board just to give me a feel of what I’ll fit on to my two 4’x2’ boards, that’s not to say I won’t extend in the future when space allows.  I’m also undecided whether I’ll model it as it was with the two lines of the up and down goods which ran on the flyover or as it was later with the lines removed and just a headshunt to enter the depot.

87759FB5-C806-4D9A-82F0-9144D4666B23.jpeg

2FDDF77B-EC1A-447A-96E4-F2949BBB92FD.jpeg

14830850-77E7-47AA-98A1-368246D85553.jpeg

549EC5AA-68A9-475C-9DDE-3919674873A5.jpeg

B6E485AB-0155-43EC-81E5-09C9E62DD786.jpeg

F6E8B3FE-CFD1-4677-9872-26C853D1E569.jpeg

7A62337F-2BAD-4254-9EAE-BA9A20423332.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jolt5 said:

Modelling livepool myself i look forward to seeing this come together.

Thanks buddy, where about are you modelling and do your have a thread on here?  I’d love to see how your getting on :good:

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone, not much progress to show but I have now pre-ordered two of the new Bachmann class 47’s which look very very good and I’ve been measuring things I have in 7mm and downsizing them to what I’ll need in 4mm suck as the fuel storage tank and watertower.  Tim’s boards should hopefully arrive at my mums tomorrow and I’m hoping Edge Hills first allocated diesel will arrive very soon.

One thing I did find last night is that a couple of AC locos retained their blue without yellow warning panels into the mid 60’s.  This is something I really want to model whether it’s just on the embankment where the goods lines/headshunt will be or whether I eventually add a few sidings as a stabling point for electric locos, either way this whole project is really exciting me.

One of the inspiring photos I found last night

https://flic.kr/p/b3Nvm8

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone, not much progress to show but I have now pre-ordered two of the new Bachmann class 47’s which look very very good and I’ve been measuring things I have in 7mm and downsizing them to what I’ll need in 4mm suck as the fuel storage tank and watertower.  Tim’s boards should hopefully arrive at my mums tomorrow and I’m hoping Edge Hills first allocated diesel will arrive very soon.

One thing I did find last night is that a couple of AC locos retained their blue without yellow warning panels into the mid 60’s.  This is something I really want to model whether it’s just on the embankment where the goods lines/headshunt will be or whether I eventually add a few sidings as a stabling point for electric locos, either way this whole project is really exciting me.

One of the inspiring photos I found last night

https://flic.kr/p/b3Nvm8

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jolt5 said:

Lovely photo and a rarely seen angle of edge hill, it’s a real shame there isn’t more documentation of this area as it was so vast there is something new I notice every time!

I think the photo is Bescot but it’s a cracking pic

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening folks things starting to slowly happen, the two boards have a arrived from Tim, excellent service once again, wire for the bus and droppers has arrived along with a new pair of xuron rail cutters.  I also might of purchased another addition to the Edge Hill allocation :scratchhead:

C4F7B989-74AB-47AF-AE1F-1A17D58C5E0D.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I assembled board number one last night and the first member of the new fleet arrived today, can’t wait to give it a whirl!  I also had a little tinker with the plan last night, nothing really to do with the track layout more of where buildings will go, think this is the best my mojo has been in years!

D968AAB3-70C5-4CBF-BA7F-7AF831A8BD4D.jpeg

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I’m not going to lie it seems strange being able to hold a loco in one hand without breaking into a sweat and things seem a lot smaller than O gauge but I’ve got a smile on my face again, can’t wait to have a play with this 

97EDFD4A-EF7F-4786-91E2-19DDA4D86190.jpeg

36BB9D65-812E-436C-BC05-8EE69B7AE866.jpeg

1C0BCBD4-E19C-4F72-9445-01B3E0E253F5.jpeg

CD3DF83F-5AF6-4CB6-B6EA-39E29A031883.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to fire up 1733 tonight for a very quick play with our Rosa, she was very impressed, also Edge Hills allocation arrived unexpectedly today.  I have to say I’m so excited about this project, yes O gauge locos are something to behold but with the likes of this 40 a bit of extra detail and it’ll be just as good and easier to model 

ABC29B95-56C8-4D20-A2B9-ABEB98805BBC.jpeg

7DDD01CB-D278-432C-80CD-0F25D1C4AC15.jpeg

8B73EB9C-357E-4DC9-B271-125C138D4107.jpeg

47E2227F-601D-41A9-883D-CA24E85F8898.jpeg

D430D3C2-ECBA-4214-9511-58A51B93C876.jpeg

CD5C4169-315F-46A9-AACA-3ADDCC9C97BC.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Looks an interesting project set during an interesting period so looking forward to further instalments!

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn both boards will be done by tomorrow hopefully then it’s just a matter of waiting for the track to arrive and sorting the points on Templot

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

Managed to fire up 1733 tonight for a very quick play with our Rosa, she was very impressed, also Edge Hills allocation arrived unexpectedly today.  I have to say I’m so excited about this project, yes O gauge locos are something to behold but with the likes of this 40 a bit of extra detail and it’ll be just as good and easier to model 

ABC29B95-56C8-4D20-A2B9-ABEB98805BBC.jpeg

7DDD01CB-D278-432C-80CD-0F25D1C4AC15.jpeg

8B73EB9C-357E-4DC9-B271-125C138D4107.jpeg

47E2227F-601D-41A9-883D-CA24E85F8898.jpeg

D430D3C2-ECBA-4214-9511-58A51B93C876.jpeg

CD5C4169-315F-46A9-AACA-3ADDCC9C97BC.jpeg

An excellent choice if I may say so, Paul. An EE Type 4 never offends!

I have these two in my stash. The couplings will have to go and they'll get 2FS wheels and probably sound.

960578905_PICT0004(2).JPG.0d6b432f5261e1ceb4fd89f34ec81246.JPG

I look forward to further developments at 8N.

David

• Like 2