A look at the Hawksworths

Andy Y

According to Alton Model Railway Centre, the underframes on the Hawsworth coaches differ too, not just the bogies. I mean, think back to when coaches had one standard underframe and we accepted the compromises as inevitable RTR to keep costs down.

Pricing is a problem that has been aired here several times. Suppose Hornby were to introduce a 60ft corridor composite, how much are people prepared to pay if they don't like existing prices, and if it is buyers who are determining prices, is it worthwhile Hornby tooling up?

I'd suggest that, given the evidence of different underframe tooling for the various Hawksworths, and the fact that they've already tooled up the LMS bogies, Hornby should be able to produce a Stanier 60ft composite for about the same price as the Hawksworths. I reckon they would find plenty of buyers - certainly more than for the existing corridor first.

Back to the Hawksworths..

Nice shot here http://gallery62603.fotopic.net/p31801937.html of a recently ex-works SK. It bears out an early comment about the prominent roof rivets - hard to spot on this one.

...). I just can't understand why Hornby persist in pricing the limited range of Staniers higher than the better detailed Maunsells and Hawksworths, both of which are available in greater variety.

Only my own impression, but I suspect it's little more than face saving; if they dropped the price after all the adverse comment (which has come up once or twice before on here, believe it or notwink.gif), it might look like an admission they got it wrong to start with

Craig - stop it, pleasetongue.gifwink.gif

As a generalisation, you are quite correct. However, Hornby launched the Staniers at price well above £30.00, only to subsequently produce the infinitely better Maunsells at below £30.00, with a better choice of types. Looking at the Hornby website today, the Staniers and fault-ridden Gresleys are priced at £38.25, whereas the Maunsells are £27.85-£29.75 and the Hawksworths £32.99.

I'm not doubting the value-for-money of all these models (particularly as they can be bought for less from the "box shifters"). I just can't understand why Hornby persist in pricing the limited range of Staniers higher than the better detailed Maunsells and Hawksworths, both of which are available in greater variety.

That was basically what I was wondering about, possibly Hornby tried to make their money on the Maunsells over a much bigger run and it hasn't succeeded (hence them dumping them on Amazon - 4 Maunsells for £44 vs two Hawksworth for £52). They might still be trying to work out an equilibrium point for pricing. Obviously if you want a Hawksworth you'll buy one of these, I certainly did after a failed attempt with a Comet one..

Here is mine after repainting the roof and underframe along with t-cut on the sides then ink in the door grooves. The t-cut doesn't seem to polish these as well as the Staniers and Bachmann mk1s though I didn't want much on the fb anyway.

Toning down the roof hasn't made the difference I was hoping and its worth noting that Hornby seem to have modelled the panels that made up the roof rather thick so the roof undulates a bit more than the prototype.

post-174-029960500 1285802980_thumb.jpg

Warning, the solebar where the bogies pivot is very thin for train set curves and as you can see on mine it warps a bit. Its very easy to break the solebar here when taking the coaches apart or putting back together.

Broken bits on mine - dynamo, bogie footsteps, guards handrail, part of the solebar.

There are 4 glazing clips underneath in the corners that need to be pushed outwards I think it was, towards the gap basically. I needed to do with with a bit of pressure between body and buffers as the bufferbeam area is a tight fit in the body. The 2nd end is easier than the first and there are a couple of clips in the middle that need the sides pulling out to release.

Its really difficult finding somewhere to hold the coach during this to avoid breaking something off, the danger with Hornby using plastic for bits its really too fragile for.

Putting it back together - THE BODY/UF IS HANDED, so don't do what I did and have all the footsteps misalign and need to take it off again :rolleyes: . Footsteps are moulded on btw so that is why different u/f tools/slides are needed, probably slides actually so a Stanier longer underframe would still cost more..

Put weight on the corners not on the solebars when you put it back together or you'll end up with a broken solebar like mine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely gorgeous.How do I justify one on a GW layout then. :huh:

My question exactly. Ironic, isn't it !

Still, thanks for all the excellent info and shots in this thread, gents. Some rather good photography in there too.

For those modelling the 1974-79 period there is the GWS 'Vintage Train' to consider which included 7372 in its formation. The story of this set of coaches is told in the new edition of 'Heritage Railway.' Something different to run behind your mainline registered Halls and Castles or behind WR class 31 and 47s or even a class 76.

Absolutely gorgeous.How do I justify one on a GW layout then. :huh:

Stop messing around and wind it forward a couple of decades.............double chimney Castles, early green Hydraulics, chocolate & cream Mk1's............BR(W) you know it makes sense! ;)

Andy.

Having got my hands on the Brake Compo all I can say is WOOOOW!!! :blink:

A very nice beastie which will be getting a good examination and minor fettling [very minor]

Now just waiting for the Full Brake...........

• RMweb Gold

It depends on which GWR era you are modelling. If it is the mid 1930s, then ask yourself what you would lose by moving the era to say 1951. You could avoid the 'orrible shirt button totem, but a lot of your coaches would still be in GWR choc and cream and you could add the Hawksworths. You could still run Stars and many of the old classes too, but slip in a Britannia just to annoy the locals!

1938-47 ideally but I'm open to persuasion. ;)