eBay Postal Delivery - Forced Entry

cessna152towser

• RMweb Premium

I returned home to one of those red "Something for You" cards from the post ofice, on which was written "On seat inside summer house".   True enough there was my parcel of Hornby wagons which I had bought on eBay, but the postie had broken a bolt in order to force his way past a secure and sturdy lock to gain entry to the summer house and had therefore then left the premises open.    I will be submitting a claim to the post office but would be interested to know how others would react.  Nothing stolen, but is forcing your way into lockfast premises perhaps a matter for the police?

• Friendly/supportive 1

As the objective wasn't an attempt at robbery I don't think you need to involve the police, it would be a civil matter of damage to property.

However, to succeed you would have to be able to prove the lock was not already damaged and the summer house was not already open when the postie tried it.

It could be that someone who did have other plans had broken into the summer house before the postie who was innocently leaving a parcel in a covered, but open, place.

Might be difficult to prove without evidence and lead to tensions with your postie if they were indeed innocent of the damage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I would be most surprised if a proper postie did that. Some posties won't even leave a parcel in an unlocked porch because they've been instructed not to go beyond the front door.  He was probably trying to be helpful,  since it's far easier for him just to leave a card and leave you with the hassle of going to the post office to collect it.

I would not be so surprised if it was a courier - I believe some of them are penalised for failing to deliver, or not getting enough deliveries in a give timeframe, hence all the stories of parcels chucked over the garden gate etc.

I would have thought it would count as criminal damage, but I can't see the old bill being bothered to pursue it unless it was a disgruntled employee who had done something similar to a few of your neighbours, as woodenhead says it could be difficult to prove,*  I would think the Post Office would be more likely to prosecute than the police would.  I would expect him to get at least a formal warning or maybe the sack if you complain.

* unless you've got it on CCTV?

Edited by Michael Hodgson

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated.   Maybe I made too much of a fuss.  I often leave my conservatory unlocked for couriers or posties to leave items and a neighbour rarely locks their summer house.  Just wonder what came over the postie today when finding my conservatory locked went up steps to my summer house and forced it open despite it being obviously also locked.

• Friendly/supportive 1