Parkside kits... with S7 wheels?

icn

After much to and fro I've come to the conclusion that I'm unlikely to be able to build a layout anytime soon (I'd been hoping to do something in P4), but perhaps I might be able to build a few wagon kits. And if I'm only building wagons, then why not go for 7mm instead of 4mm. But if I'm building stuff from kit (and hopefully in future: from scratch), then I might as well go the whole hog and build in S7

It seems like both Parkside and Slaters have a good selection of 7mm wagon kits, but the tricky part is that both of them come supplied with wheels. Slaters let you specify S7 wheels when buying them from their website, which is nice... but I can't seem to find anywhere that will sell me Parkside kits with S7 wheels - does anyone here know of a place that would let me do that?

(I've looked at: Eileen's does offer a choice of wheels for the 4mm kits, i.e. OO/EM/P4 but I don't see a similar option for the 7mm kits, same story at H&A models, and similar results at all the other shops I've looked at. The scaleseven society claims that peco will supply S7 wheels on request, but the peco website doesn't actually appear to let you buy any of their kits directly... anymore?)

Have you phoned Peco to ask them? PD would always supply kits with S7 wheels and Peco initially said that they would continue to do so when they took on the PD range of kits. 
Alternatively buy the kits without any wheels and get the S7 wheels from Slater’s. 
Dave

• RMweb Gold

On the S7 website it says Peco will supply the wheels on request but there are also other threads on Western Thunder that day they had no response from Peco. 

I did try the S7 thing myself but gave up as its difficult to get wheels for many things unless you pay someone to get them modified or turn them yourself. 

Slaters have started doing some nice solid all metal wheels but I believe only in F7 not S7. These are turned to the correct profile inside and out plus they have a correct tapered axle on the 3 hole disk wheels. 

I sold all my S7 bits and went back to F7.

Excuse the rust it comes free with most of Slaters wheels these day....

20200526_152117.jpg

20200526_152156.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, daifly said:

Have you phoned Peco to ask them? PD would always supply kits with S7 wheels and Peco initially said that they would continue to do so when they took on the PD range of kits. 
Alternatively buy the kits without any wheels and get the S7 wheels from Slater’s. 
Dave

That's a good idea - although as markjj has mentioned, other forum members haven't had much success in getting information out of Peco.

Unfortunately the Parkside kits are seemingly only sold with wheels these days - I suppose I could sell the wheels on to someone else, but it's a hassle (and I don't live in the UK either to make things more complex).

14 hours ago, markjj said:

On the S7 website it says Peco will supply the wheels on request but there are also other threads on Western Thunder that day they had no response from Peco. 

I did try the S7 thing myself but gave up as its difficult to get wheels for many things unless you pay someone to get them modified or turn them yourself. 

Slaters have started doing some nice solid all metal wheels but I believe only in F7 not S7. These are turned to the correct profile inside and out plus they have a correct tapered axle on the 3 hole disk wheels. 

I sold all my S7 bits and went back to F7.

Thanks, I've never heard of Western Thunder before!

And it's useful to hear about your difficulties with S7 - I'm quite familiar with the literature and products available for P4, and I had naively assumed that S7 availability might be similar - but it looks like wheels are indeed a bigger issue than I had first assumed. This might be enough to push me over to O-MF instead of S7. (If I never get round to building a layout then the point is perhaps moot, but my hope is that eventually these models will be able to run somewhere.)

And indeed, it does seem like Slaters solid wheels are F7 only - the selection of S7 wheels is quite small (although the scaleseven society also seems to add a decent selection).

Perhaps someone can educate me.  My sense is that the proportion of people doing S7 is quite small vs those doing F7 (which is the default).  Maybe similar to the proportion of people doing P4 vs 00.

My other thought is that if you want to rely on someone else's layout for running, chances are it is F7.

John

3 hours ago, icn said:

and I had naively assumed that S7 availability might be similar - but it looks like wheels are indeed a bigger issue than I had first assumed. This might be enough to push me over to O-MF instead of S7. (If I never get round to building a layout then the point is perhaps moot, but my hope is that eventually these models will be able to run somewhere.)

And indeed, it does seem like Slaters solid wheels are F7 only - the selection of S7 wheels is quite small (although the scaleseven society also seems to add a decent selection).

There are suppliers of S7 wheels other than Slater's. e.g. Peartree. I suspect that Tower might supply kits without wheels if asked - especially if you are buying several kits.

The S7 Group supplies a number of locomotive wheels through the S7 stores (to members only). Loco wheels that are not in the S7 Stores range can be routed from Slater's or Walsall, Mark Wood wheel ranges etc. to e.g. Colin Dowling who will reprofile, thin and chemically blacken them and then send them on to you. Just how many locos will you be building?

Western Thunder is home to some of the best modelling on the web with contributions from modellers all over the world. No adverts. No politics. Recommended.

Dave

Edited by daifly
WT note.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, brossard said:

Perhaps someone can educate me.  My sense is that the proportion of people doing S7 is quite small vs those doing F7 (which is the default).  Maybe similar to the proportion of people doing P4 vs 00.

My other thought is that if you want to rely on someone else's layout for running, chances are it is F7.

John

Proportion of S7 vs FS - probably.

When you build in S7, you quickly find out where there are opportunities to run your stock. 

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, daifly said:

Proportion of S7 vs FS - probably.

When you build in S7, you quickly find out where there are opportunities to run your stock. 

Dave

When I started S7 I lived in England and found very few people had layouts near me in fact only one person came forward with a hint of an offer to run my stuff.

Here in Scotland where I am now 5 mins away from the original home of PD very few people do S7 infact my area group is nothing but F7. 

Edited by markjj
Typo

The wheel profile issue and supply is the reason I (Pregrouping Railways) don't supply wheels with kits. Yes the majority of sale would be 7FS but the number of sales of S7 is increasing and there is the odd person out there who will fit course scale wheels in. 

The sentiment raised about the availability of wheels is a bit chicken and egg. People don't see a demand as sales are low so there is a reluctance to do more but if there is more choice more people would move to S7. With the majority of 7mm layouts being built not requiring large locos the selection of wheels for large locos will be small. 

Marc

• Agree 1