Carrs Brown flux

Contemplating trying Lincs Auto Couplers, the instructions recommend using Carrs Brown flux for soldering the steel wire to brass tube. I can only find one source at £10 plus £11 shipping. No one on ebay has it. Don't object to paying  £10 for the flux, but not £11 shipping on a £10 item. Does anyone know of suppliers with sensible shipping charges.

It's a courier problem. Not many will touch it as it's acid. Many won't even take paint anymore.

£10 is cheaper than the two places I know who will supply it. But if you add in the courier then it's about the same.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/carrs/soldering/flux/c1030

https://www.hamodels.net/carrs-c1030-brown-flux-50ml.html

Might be worth trying to see if a localish bricks and mortar shop sells it. Or maybe buy it at an exhibition if you can get to one?

Or someone might suggest a more readily available alternative.

Jason

• Thanks 1

I just use green label or red label. Provided you clean the flux off straight after the joint has been made I have never had any problems with corrosion. Just make sure the metal is cleaned when you start.

I used to find the lids on the brown label bottles disintegrated after a few years on a shelf.

Mark

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Bakers fluid is an ideal flux for soldering steel.  It is acidic so needs to washed off.  It is available in plastic bottles now though my tin is still going strong.  Lots of suppliers, try your local plumbers or building supply merchant.

Ian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Spring steel wire is not the easiest thing to solder. As above, acid flux and pre tin it.  I use Bakers fluid too.

I now tend to buy guitar strings for 9 thou spring steel wire . Spring steel but plated with I think nickel. They are much easier to solder and are more resistant to rusting. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1