Layout power control - control panel or case controller?

MacDuff999

I am building a medium sized goods sidings layout - c.20ft. long, with 6 roads and about 10 turnouts. Electrics is not an area I am knowledgeable about, apart from basic principles of simple track wiring. I don't have the expertise to make a bespoke control panel, and am considering the possibility of a multi-section case controller, as I think the layout will comprise no more than 5 power sections, and this may be a simpler solution to layout power supply. Any advice or suggestions RM Webbers? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2021 at 12:05, MacDuff999 said:

the layout will comprise no more than 5 power sections

I'm not sure what you mean by "power sections" - can you explain, please?

Another question is whether you are going to use DCC and how many simultaneous locos you have in mind.

Yours,  Mike.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "power sections" - can you explain, please?

Another question is whether you are going to use DCC and how many simultaneous locos you have in mind.

Yours,  Mike.

Well the question is in the (Electrics non-DCC) section, so I assume that the layouts going to be DC.

However, the OP has not provided much in the way of information. A proposed track plan, might get the ball rolling for some replies.

• Like 1

You only need as many controllers as you will have trains moving simultaneously.

If, as I suspect from the way you talk about a ‘siding layout’, you will only have one train on the move at a time, you will only need one controller. Any switching on/off of power to individual sections, to hold other trains stationary, can be done with simple switches.

Case or panel is a bit of a personal preference thing, but if you are electrically inexperienced, a case controller will almost certainly prove simpler for you.

• Like 1

When I built my first layout some 20 years ago, I made it DC.  I thought "it's not that big, I don't need DCC".  So, I built it and also constructed a control panel.  The control panel was a royal pain since it entailed running wires back and forth to track breaks and turnout motors (Tortoise).  Then I had to procure the switches and wire everything.

When I started to play with it, I found it difficult to remember all the switches to throw and frequently had trains come to a jarring halt because a block was not powered.  I found the situation intolerable and my next port of call was to buy a DCC system.

So, don't let me put you off.  However, if you do decide to convert to DCC later, my advice is to make the turnouts "DCC ready".

I find this to be a useful website:

https://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm#a1

ATB

John

• Like 1

I find control panels with lots of controllers a PITA.   Even double controllers annoy me as I inevitably turn the wrong one.   I have them spread out around the layout on a shelf below the layout next to where shunting will be carried out with a central vertical switch panel to connect each of up to six controllers to the seven or so main sections  or "Power Districts" on the layout.  The switches are six way double pole rotary switches rated at 1 amp.  Obviously for a DCC conversion 1 amp fuses or overload cut outs  would be needed.   Basically any controller can run a train on 95% of the layout, only a few hidden sidings are excluded.    There are in addition a large number of isolated sections again mainly operated by the central switch panel but several are by the nearest controller for convenience.  Many have on/off switches others push buttons.   The isolated sections allow trains to be stopped to allow other trains to move onto the circuits to be stopped in their turn to allow others to move off.   The whole was designed with operating in mind, possibly over complicated but its better than having to physically lift trains around.  The switches and transformers take  no space on the baseboard, some rotary switches are mounted behind the baseboard framing with knobs protruding through.  It does mean walking around to operate but I find it quite satisfying to do so.