Consensus on a possible M7 Tender engine?

H all,

I was wondering as I looked through my boxes of spares whether you could build an 0-4-2 tender engine from a M7 0-4-4 tank engine. I have a spare M7 chassis that was going to form the base of an N2 bodied 0-4-4. But there was just too much work to do to get the wheels fitted in correctly. But I also have a spare B12 tender looking for a new home. So all I would need is a cheap body. I am not looking to base this on any real prototype , But if there is one I would be interested to see it. So I am asking for your opinions as to whether you think,

A/ It would work .

B/ Would it look right. 

Edited by cypherman

It is always interesting to see what imaginary locos people come up with.

The 700 class 0-6-0 freight loco was the real life tender version of the M7 as some of the successful features of the M7 tank were used in them. Also the C8 class 4-4-0 passenger loco shared the same boiler,

cheers

• Like 3

Better to get a T9 body and bodge it onto a hacked about M7 chassis to create a 4-4-0.  The old X04 powered M7 had way oversize wheels but is nice with the motor very nearly Horizontal.

The M7 bodge I fancy is to a 4-4-2T like the NB ones by taking off the front sandboxes, shifting back the coupled wheels, lengthening the front end, puttnig the bogie in front and adding trailing wheels.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Steamport Southport thanks for the info on the Jubilee. Something I will definitely look into.

DCB to do what you suggest I would be better off using an Triang L1/2P 4-4-0 chassis. Strangely enough I have a spare one of those as well with Romford wheels fitted.

Edited by cypherman

• 2 weeks later...

How about cutting the M7 body immediately in front of the tanks; take the front footplate/smokebox unit  and then knock up a running plate, rear splashers, boiler and cab out of plastikard?  Wouldn't be an excessively difficult job.....

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well a sods law would have it. the moment I want a cheap M7 body they either disappear or the price goes up. So on a slight hiatus for this project at the moment. Another one in the que...... :(

I have exactly the same problem as I want one to bodge into an LBSC B1