Railway Modeller archive

Clearwater

28 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Not seen this posted elsewhere, but this notification popped up on my iPad.  Great that there’s going to be online access to the archive back to 1947 for subscribers.  Bravo peco!

David

CB30CF0E-6097-4928-8856-3B656241A4EC.jpeg.a55ef322b3438b9b536f5d9c9ba2e37d.jpeg

Tis good news, the only downside I can see is unless Peco have altered things printing hard copies of odd pages I have always found to be long winded to the point of why bother.

• RMweb Premium

Not had that notification, but the latest magazine just arrived today, along with a reminder to renew, which interestingly make no mention of being able to renew online.. only cheques or direct debit.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Not seen this posted elsewhere, but this notification popped up on my iPad.  Great that there’s going to be online access to the archive back to 1947 for subscribers.  Bravo peco!

David

CB30CF0E-6097-4928-8856-3B656241A4EC.jpeg.a55ef322b3438b9b536f5d9c9ba2e37d.jpeg

Sounds like somebody's lockdown project...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I'll now be able to look again at P D Hancock's Craig and Mertonfrod, John Charman's Charford and many other layouts from when I was very young- not even a teenager.

The adverts and prices are worthy of study too.

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Nile said:

This applies to those that subscribe through Exact Editions , that's the one where you can only access them while you have an active subscription. Could be worth a look just for those back issues.

Its all there - I hope showing a cover is not a big copyright issue - this is the earliest.

RM1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Its all there - I hope showing a cover is not a big copyright issue - this is the earliest.

RM1.jpg

So what else is there? It says that 865 issues are available, but Railway Modeller is 'only' up to issue 853. So there is 12 extras somehow.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I had a look at this last night - its brilliant! I love it. The search seems to work pretty well too. I can only give the search 8 out of 10 because I can't find a way of looking for a phrase rather than a word. Does anyone now how to do this? For instance searching for Chiltern Green I've tried Chiltern Green, "Chiltern Green" and Chiltern+Green but the search returns every article with either Chiltern or Green in it. In the end I decided just to search on Chiltern. One good feature of the search engine is that it only searches on where you are. For this search I knew I was looking for articles in the 1970s or 1980s so I first clicked on 1970s and then searched for Chiltern but didn't find what I wanted. I then went to the 1980s and searched for Chiltern and quickly found the magazine where Chiltern Green was Railway of the Month. So the search engine is good in some ways and I reckon most of us will be able to find most things we want fairly quickly. I think this archive will keep me busy throughout this coming winter and probably the one after as well!

The one thing I don't like about Exact Editions is that you can have it on your smart phone and pad or you can have it on your PC but, from what I can gather , you can't have it on your smartphone and PC.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

So what else is there? It says that 865 issues are available, but Railway Modeller is 'only' up to issue 853. So there is 12 extras somehow.

I've certainly come across one index (1970) as a separate document but I have not explored in detail.

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

The one thing I don't like about Exact Editions is that you can have it on your smart phone and pad or you can have it on your PC but, from what I can gather , you can't have it on your smartphone and PC.

You can have it on PC, tablet and smartphone,  the only thing with the PC version is that you can only view it online, or download individual pages unlike tablet or smartphone where you can dowload to read off line. 

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

There are a few “extras” such as the Peter Denny supplement and a “shows you how” on signalling.

14 hours ago, Nile said:

This applies to those that subscribe through Exact Editions , that's the one where you can only access them while you have an active subscription. Could be worth a look just for those back issues.

I didn't like this construction at all and cancelled my digital subscription. When I cancelled my previous subscription to printed copy they didn't call at the house and take away my old magazines.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LimboBrit said:

I didn't like this construction at all and cancelled my digital subscription. When I cancelled my previous subscription to printed copy they didn't call at the house and take away my old magazines.

They wouldn't dare come take my magazines! It's taken a long time to collect my 680 odd issues.

Which isn't to say that they are all in good condition - they aren't. Quite a few with damaged covers and a small number with pages missing.

I'm not saying I won't take up this digital sub, I'm considering it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, johnd said:

Tis good news, the only downside I can see is unless Peco have altered things printing hard copies of odd pages I have always found to be long winded to the point of why bother.

Try a screenshot, then print that.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Gilbert's cover photo' is the second Railway Modeller of December 1949/January 1950, No1 came out in 1949 and not 1947 as stated. I have a full run except No1, which to date proves illusive.

I stand corrected. The archive includes an October/November 1949 edition.

• RMweb Gold

I already had a digital subscription so this initiative is a wonderful one from my POV. I have limited storage generally and ha e embarked on scanning my collection where electronic copies are not available. This will save me a lot of time, plus perfect-bound magazines are difficult to scan and larger-than-A4 is also difficult with an A4 scanner. RM is of course larger than A4 and has been for some time.

Perhaps it might be possible in the future to do something similar for BRM, although it would be a long time away: this project might well have taken several years to come to fruition (particularly when you consider the number of issues involved in the case of RM).

It would be nice if something similar could be done for Model Railway Constructor or Model Railway News/Model Railways/Your Model Railway. But this may not be practical—Key may not have access to any old copies of MRC and Model Railways (etc) has not been published for some time and I have no idea whether the publisher even still exists in any form.

I wonder if Tim Rayner had anything to do with this—he is, after all, a trained librarian.

In any case — well done, RM!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I've now found when this affliction started thanks to this! What a great nostalgia source.

Feb 88 was the first issue I ever bought as a greasy spotty eighty's teen. Houghton an O gauge LNER BLT was the railway of the month, and I was much taken with the junior modeller 6x4 roundy roundy I seem to remember. 

The plethora of West Highland articles (including Kyle of Tongue) round the turn of the 80s/90s explains a lot an all:D..

Edited by slow8dirty
Using Dumb Phone

10 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Can someone who has bought a subscription please tell me the quality and definition of the various pages when printed out? Many Thanks, Mick.

The downloaded files are PDF's.  Quality will depeand on printer and type of paper you use. Hope this helps.

Regards, John