Railway Modeller archive

Clearwater

16 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I have found 4 articles

Model Railway Constructor 1978 May & June.  Over view and workings.

Model Railways 1992 October  on the control panel

Model Railways 1993 February Photo of city centre.

Railway Modeller 1984 August  RotM.

Which makes 5 articles!

DMNS also appeared in Airfix Model Trains, about 1980/81.

15 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I notice that everything up to December 2007 is from scans; January 2008 onwards appears to have been generated electronically. I'd have expected electronic origins for earlier copies than this — perhaps it is connected with the change of editor that took place then.

It may be connected with a change in layout software. I recently worked on the conversion of some noughties magazine back issues for digital availability. The issues from late 2005, produced with the then-trendy new InDesign CS-2 using OpenType founts were push-button simple. The previous issues, produced using QuarkXpress with type one founts, were a shed-load of work. Scanning them would have been a whole-lot easier.

Edited by Krusty
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

This really is excellent, I can now find the article I wrote back in the 1980s.

Peco do seem to be developing. They have just launched a new peco TV update showing the expanded assembly line, catering for increased demand. Looks like a nicely growing, UK based business employing local people in a rural part of the country. Well done to them.

Ian C

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

Thoroughly agree with most postings here... as a 'subscriber value' gift this knocks the socks off most of the competition (although I did appreciate the budget airbrush from one of other mags!). The quality is excellent and and has obviously taken someone quite some time to do - they must have briefly considered not including the ads, which have always been wrapped around the content - my own paper archive of RMs had the ads stripped away 11 months out of 12 just to save space in my loft but they make a fascinating read as the decades go past.

I don't enjoy reading electronic facsimiles on a screen or iPad as I want to relax when I read for leisure so will buy the current issue in paper for as long as they sell it but it's fabulous to have access to the full archive when you want to lose some hours of time...

• Agree 2

An absolutely brilliant innovation especially for modellers of a certain age! So easy to register once the dear lady at Peco gave me my customer number.

Highly recommended, with many thanks to RMWeb contributors for giving the Archive the publicity that Peco didn't appear to!

Tim Chambers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nile said:

I wish I had as much time as you to read magazines. I can't keep up with the current ones, never mind back issues.

To be honest , if it's steam I just look at the pictures . If it's diesel unless of specific interest I just look at the pictures ....

can get through decades in hours 

• Like 1

RAILWAY MODELLER... THE COMPLETE DIGITAL ARCHIVE!

FREE ACCESS DAY!

On Monday 8th November we will be hosting a free days access to our all new complete digital archive! The link will grant a free days access to the entire digital magazine archive, dating from our very first edition, which was published in 1949.

On RM's Fb page today. No details as to 'the link' though. I have asked and will post the reply.

• Informative/Useful 1

It’s still fascinating me - I’m finding that the inspirational diesel stuff mainly dates from 2000 plus , I’m not sure if that’s due to better photography , layout or just better stock being available.

I’ve got a bit of a fixation with searching every model shop mentioned in the shop news but at the back of each issue - depressing thing is normally 2/3 have gone , and I’m talking 10 years ago , shops with web addresses etc.

I’ve read and re-read the 50s and 60s on paper, having collected them all at various times, so decided to dive into the digital archive in the 70s, which were my ‘apprentice years’ in the hobby, and the 80s, which is the decade when I didn’t buy RM, because I was wholly into narrow gauge hobby-wise, and mega-busy with family and job.

Impressions:

- the 1970s were much more like the 1960s in terms of hobby approach than I realised at the time. The magazine still had that lovely old “cardigany” feeling, and articles contained enough words to make for a proper read;

- the 1980s were when things seem to have polarised a bit, with very hi-fi modelling emerging and being practised by a minority, but a slight feeling of loss of direction/momentum/creativity in the mainstream. If that impression is correct, it must have been the huge increases in volumes, diversity, and quality of r-t-r 00 in the 1990s that revivified the mainstream.

Personal impressions, of course.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1