Signalling Minories

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, being such a well known plan...

I would have no hesitation in planning out how I would signal Minories using colour lights but would be very interested to see how it would probably have been done with semaphores.  In my mind I am adding the two missing catch points that ought to be present on the two spurs.

Would any of our signalling experts be willing to draw out a signalling plan for the layout with semaphore signalling? 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Can we assume that Minories, like Fenchurch St, lies very close to the first station down the line?  If so, each of the three platform starters will be accompanied by a distant arm controlled by the next box.

The signals controlling the movements into the station are probably off-scene if the view blocker is a road running over the railway as otherwise sighting of the signals would be problematic.

• Like 1

It need not be the next station down the line. CJF conceived Minories as modular. See the module designs here:

You could imagine the loco depot or junction is just down the line, which could justify distants with each starter.

Cheers

David

On 13/10/2021 at 23:42, Dagworth said:

Just a thought, being such a well known plan...

I would have no hesitation in planning out how I would signal Minories using colour lights but would be very interested to see how it would probably have been done with semaphores.  In my mind I am adding the two missing catch points that ought to be present on the two spurs.

Would any of our signalling experts be willing to draw out a signalling plan for the layout with semaphore signalling? 

Andi

I'm no signalling expert but in his book Model Railway Signalling CJF produced a signalling diagram for his plan "with a full quota of semaphore variants"

I'll PM you the page but I'll leave it to others to argue about how accurate he was.

There was a three doll gantry before the first set of points controlling access to the station with a stop signal (inner home?) and a calling on arm on each; bracketed starting signals for platforms 2&3 (the island platform) and a single starter for platform 1; a siding signal governing exit from the loco/parcels spur; and a backing signal at the toe of the points accessing the spur. He didn't include any distants or shunting disks. 

That diagram was for the original simple passenger version of Minories so if there was a kickback siding from platform 3 that would need a catch point and (I assume) a shunting signal.  

The passenger side of Geoff Ashdown's excellent Tower Pier is operationally equivalent to Minories except that there's no inbound access to platform 2 and there is a releasing crossover between platforms 1 & 2 and we can be very confident that he's got the signalling spot on. It's LNER so I think all shunting movements are signalled. His leverr frame has 30 levers.

1946407869_ExpoEM2011TowerPier071.jpg.25e218019870bba8925eb168c4fdfa3b.jpg

I took this photo of Geoff's SBD at ExpoEM in 2011

The goods side is controlled by the station box but is separate with an assumed junction at the next box.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1