BRITAIN’S BIGGEST VIRTUAL MODEL RAILWAY SHOW RETURNS!

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You didn't watch Ben Jones interview then. Plenty of foreign stuff there. 

But, yes, we'd like to do more if there is the demand. 

Some of us might be wondering if this might mean "Modern Railway Modelling" putting in a guest appearance - perhaps as an occasional feature in some issues of BRM.

Of course, it might really be a case of: "Perchance it sleepeth."

Who knows?

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I've got some lovely Welsh layouts coming up in the mag next year.

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

"We'll keep a welcome in the hillsides."

As for "foreign" modelling, I believe that BRM might have recently included some content from what one advert for a Welsh brewery once referred to as "bandit country". I can only assume that they were talking about the Eastern side of Offa's Dyke ... .

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

"We'll keep a welcome in the hillsides."

Sounds like a threat. :biggrin_mini2:

I like to pretend it's abroad as it's the furthest I've been for 2 years and I've still not seen the balmy blue waters of Cardigan Bay. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sounds like a threat. :biggrin_mini2:

Not at all.

That sort of welcome is reserved for the "second home" brigade (allegedly) - and (perhaps) certain Rugby teams (again allegedly).

Personally, I've never had any time for such "pleasantries".

I've always been proud to be Welsh - in much the same way as I hope people from the Eastern side of Offa's Dyke are proud to be English.

I personally start to get worried when people don't take a pride in where they come from - and instead start looking for imaginary faults in where other people come from.

49 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I like to pretend it's abroad as it's the furthest I've been for 2 years and I've still not seen the balmy blue waters of Cardigan Bay. 

I'm sure you'll get a chance in due course.

As for me, I enjoyed visiting Gloucestershire at the end of October. The Cheltenham show was my first chance in 3 years to visit a model railway event.

Thankfully, I didn't need my passport (just as well - it "ran out" 4 years ago).

Same goes for when I visit Hereford.

(Interesting, though, that the Wales / England border has actually moved about a bit over the centuries.)

Earlier, I mentioned a brewery advert I remember from the 1980s - in Pontypridd - when I was a student at what was then the Polytechnic of Wales.

About the same time, another student there was unhappy about having to travel through England on his way to and from his native Cornwall. I can't remember what course he was doing. I can remember that he was considering training to become a vicar ... .

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the links, chaps, I will try to find some time to watch some of the content over the next few days.

It strikes me that whilst virtual exhibitions can be a good thing, what's happening is that you are essentially visiting them from home, and thus still liable to be called upon for all kinds of domestic duties, whereas if you are actually away, visiting a physical exhibition, then you are there and all your time can be devoted to the show!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks for all the links, chaps, I will try to find some time to watch some of the content over the next few days.

It strikes me that whilst virtual exhibitions can be a good thing, what's happening is that you are essentially visiting them from home, and thus still liable to be called upon for all kinds of domestic duties, whereas if you are actually away, visiting a physical exhibition, then you are there and all your time can be devoted to the show!

Tell me about it, three aborted attempts to view the show, began with breakfast which was interrupted by going 'shopping', then another attempt which resulted in a call for help with downloading some files, then making tea got in the way and now it's back down to complete a backup.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Fair comment.

I remember the show in March.

When I was in the middle of watching one of the videos, the house phone rang - and I found myself talking to a relative for the next hour (not that I'm complaining, you understand).

If I'd been at "Ally Pally", I very much doubt if he would have spent a similar amount of time speaking to me on my electronic tag mobile phone.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I will try to find some time to watch some of the content over the next few days.

Warning - it's an event. All the Saturday stuff vanishes on Sunday, and the Sunday stuff goes on Monday. Just like a real show.

You can buy a show guide which gives you access to the videos, plus a load of layout photos, for only £2.99 - https://pocketmags.com/british-railway-modelling-magazine/world-of-railways-virtual-exhibition-souvenir-guide-dec-2021

The guide allows you to view everything at your leisure. A bit like being able to pack Warley in your rucksack and take it home. But without finding your rucksack full of "aromatic" people only interested in finding the cheapest toy trains.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the content so far I have particularly liked the interviews with the manufacturers as this would be an aspect missing from the shows I would usually attend.  It helps to bring across just how passionate they are about their own products and the disappointment they must feel when things go wrong. David at Bachmann talking about the compromise required with some of the models to keep costs down was enlightening and the thought they will be forever tooling the class 47 due to the detail differences demonstrates their passion and commitment to the accuracy of their products.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

The guide allows you to view everything at your leisure. A bit like being able to pack Warley in your rucksack and take it home. But without finding your rucksack full of "aromatic" people only interested in finding the cheapest toy trains.

Aren't you forgetting their memorable personal "signature scent", with its subtle blend of distinctive rustic aromas - like "fresh suilline organic fertilizer" and "eau de skunk"?

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent an enjoyable day yesterday dropping in and out of layouts and the other content. Looking forward to more of the same today albeit with some different content as noted by PP above.

Many thanks to all the organisers as clearly a lot has gone on behind the scenes to make this happen - Inspiring stuff :good:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm enjoying day 2 of the virtual show - well, when I can!

I've just been getting a "524 timeout" on one of today's videos (and a bit of "fun" getting another to fire up) - which suggests (to this non-expert at least) that the W-o-R server might be getting a serious workout - so it sounds like lots of people might have been trying to visit the show site.

Not to worry. Even though I happen to like "D&E", this doesn't stop me having a kettle. It'll come in very useful now - well, the coffee pot won't fill itself ... .

I guess I might get back to the virtual show in about half an hour. With a few mugs of Lidl's finest filter coffee inside me, I might also be more awake than I might otherwise have been. Thankfully, I happen to enjoy Lidl's finest filter coffee (white - no sugar - and ... the good biscuits).

(Reminder to self - from a few hours' time, I'll be drinking "decaf" ... .)

Whilst I think of it, now would probably be a good time to put the Android tablet on charge. I'll be back later ... .

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

the W-o-R server might be getting a serious workout - so it sounds like lots of people might have been trying to visit the show site.

That was certainly the case yesterday afternoon when I was on duty, it was a bit frustrating as the back-end was working fine so I was posting content knowing I was probably the only person who could see it whilst the front-end had stalled. Still, it had to be done so it was all there when readers could get access again. We had additional resources made available for the weekend but we'll need to review if it was enough.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely brilliant and the content is spot on, the only complaint being I’m getting some hassle from her indoors sitting for  watching my ipad all day.

You and your teammates have set the bar very high…….

However we at Stafford Railway Circle have also reset the bar with the largest model railway exhibition we have ever  put on in our new home Bingley Hall at the Stafford County Showground.

I can say with some confidence that it’s the largest UK exhibition since the Warley Exhibition in 2019 

Please take a look at wedsite www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/exhibition 

Look forward to seeing many of you over the weekend of 5th & 6th February 2022

Subject to Government Covid rules at the time.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

I’m getting some hassle from her indoors sitting for  watching my ipad all day.

Still waiting for yesterday's jigsaw to do itself? :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I was posting content knowing I was probably the only person who could see it whilst the front-end had stalled.

I was wondering why all those "Go for Gold!" adverts weren't getting through.

Of course, this might also have something to do with me having already "made the jump" ... .

Seriously though, these "e-shows" have been great - and this one's no exception.

However, this doesn't stop some of us looking forward to the big "in person" shows, when they return.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've really been enjoying the virtual show; so much so that I've got very little done this weekend (not that I'm complaining!).

Due to late nights preparing videos I'm a little behind on today, but I had to chuckle when I saw the description of the Playtrains segment. I think the screenshot was also perfectly timed as Andy doesn't look too happy about being called small:

1931700934_playtrainshumour.jpg.b9ae23084bac9456d4ec13dd4f5c7510.jpg

Jokes aside, the videos with Thomas and Erin were delightful by the way - it's really good to see Hornby getting back to its roots and ensuring there is plenty to entice a new generation into our wonderful hobby. I'll be posting a lengthy blog post report, as I do every virtual exhibition, to share my top bits. Well done everyone for the hard work involved in putting together such a colossal amount of content.

• Like 5

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Well done everyone for the hard work involved

You've been part of the team too Jamie, you made some great videos with a chance to see some scenic Dorzet. Charming pieces!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That was certainly the case yesterday afternoon when I was on duty, it was a bit frustrating as the back-end was working fine so I was posting content knowing I was probably the only person who could see it whilst the front-end had stalled. Still, it had to be done so it was all there when readers could get access again. We had additional resources made available for the weekend but we'll need to review if it was enough.

I’ve had a few ‘Error Code 666 timeouts’ this weekend …. (The wife calling me away from my IPad to do domestic jobs!)

Joking aside … Since I’ve began to create a few videos of my layout for YouTube, I’ve realised that it takes quite a bit of time and effort to plan, record, edit and upload content … so greatly appreciate the efforts of all those involved to create and publish the excellent content for another wonderful virtual show this weekend.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
Just now, Patriot87003 said:

I’ve had a few ‘Error Code 666 timeouts’ this weekend …. (The wife calling me away from my IPad to do domestic jobs!)

OMG, those are serious issues; even worse-sounding than Fatal Execution Errors.

• Funny 3

I've enjoyed this on line exhibition as I really miss my local Wigan event. Some useful vids for tips, layout videos etc and things to buy also. Again many thanks to the rmweb team and all others involved in producing it. 

Brit15

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

It's fair to say we've had technical frustrations which we, as the editorial team collating and creating the content, have felt more than anyone.

The positive and supportive comments you've given back to us through RMweb are really appreciated and one of the highpoints of, not just the weekend of the show, but the month or more of pulling it together.

You have our thanks.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10