Interesting Offer Pack from Oxford

black and decker boy

Showing a new level of integration of the ranges, I had an email today from Oxford offering a bargain pack.

it contains a Hornby loco, R3521 D16/3 and a random mix of wagons and road vehicles.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/lner-locomotive-r3521-and-assortment-of-models?_kx=dggKD_R6-R3MvoCKtMg-_ggabnuWTXQhvUjviK3aLJWMkTpT8LcfzN8IIRAvz09i.UvyHL7

Get your hands on this incredibly generous LNER Bundle. It includes one LNER locomotive (R3521) D16/3 Class, 4-4-0, 8802 - Era 3 and comes teamed with a random selection of LNER wagons. We will also throw in some model cars that you would have seen on the roads in the same period to compliment your layout!

All items are 1:76 scale.

You can catch this at a bargain price of £149.99 and the contents retail for over £225.

Suits the first-time collector, or an experienced modeller. 

Limited Availability. FREE Shipping.

Please Note the locomotive shown in the image is the item that you will receive. The remaining contents of the box are chosen at random and no changes can be made. Your statutory rights still apply.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've ordered one despite there being no mention of a brake van to go with the wagons. A moot point anyway as the D16 was a passenger locomotive. A J15 would have been a better choice of locomotive methinks.

They only do a GWR Toad so the brake will be wrong anyway.

There is a J15 one, and a Q6.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/all-brands/products/or76bundle02

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/all-brands/products/lner-loco-r3541-and-assortment-vehicles

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

They've kept them quiet. When I first saw the D16 ad they were just out of stock so I asked to be notified if any more became available. It looks like a warehouse clearance exercise as they have done with their diecast models. The only model that is certain to be in the pack is the locomotive. Incidentally I have the brake van (LMS ex MR?) from a partwork that came out a few years ago that could be modified to represent a GE example.

I got the Q6 one, since it was below the RRP for the loco I thought why not try it. Contained the following:

Hornby Q6 (Obviously)

NE plank wagon

Two LNER Scammel Mechanical horses, one with a flat trailer, one with a tank trailer.

Two identical unboxed LNER mechanical horse box trailers.

An LNER liveried bedford OY with flat trailer.

An LNER commer van.

An SS Jaguar.

A Morris Eight.

All in all, not bad but a bit disappointing as I would have expected more than one wagon, especially as it was advertised as 'wagons' and those are more useful to me than a load of Scammells.

In actual fact, I got exactly the models they used in their advertising image except a second scammell trailer instead of the cattle wagon. Not really a fair swap tbh.

Edited by sparky66
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sparky66 said:

I got the Q6 one, since it was below the RRP for the loco I thought why not try it. Contained the following:

All in all, not bad but a bit disappointing as I would have expected more than one wagon, especially as it was advertised as 'wagons' and those are more useful to me than a load of Scammells.

I would query that with Oxford as it does state wagons (plural).

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived this morning and it only had the one wagon, a private owner coal wagon. I also got the two identical Scammell trailers. The none railway vehicles were an Austin 7 van and a Royal Mail motorcycle. Hornby are also joining in with their own bundles. 

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/bundles?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=NEW+Hornby+Bundles!&utm_campaign=Hornby+-+Bundles+-+Week+31+2021%2F2022

Hornby's bundles ... the two Southern ones contain a loco and only brake coaches, and the Eastern one with the K1 keeps repeating the ownership of "Sir Nigel Gresley" instead of the details of the coaches. I am starting to question their "carefully selected" and "amazing value" claims. It's basically warehouse supermarket sweep, isn't it?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I looked up the prices that the D16's were going for on e-bay, £110-£130, and the wagon at about £10 and about the same for each of the die-cast lorries which brings the value up to about £175, not the £225 claimed.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Its a way of shifting stock at a discount without saying that you're directly discounting and risking undermining your relationship with independent retailers.  

Not quite, Oxford have been doing the same with their diecast models since earlier this year. The purpose is to clear warehouse space for the new models coming in. I have purchased a couple of these boxes of diecast models and they generally contain models that are poor sellers, dealer returns, promotionals and club editions. You can be guaranteed to get a Stobart truck with the box sometimes labelled Atlas and a few older models. Of these boxes, 50% of the contents I keep, about 30% I sell on and of the remainder most are set aside for code 3's with one or two going to the charity shop. IMHO the diecast only boxes give a slightly better deal than the Oxford Rail ones.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1