Multi Gauge Rolling Road Micro with Backscene and Low Relief Features

Like a number of us, I have a large model railway project in my workshop, but the occasional small project provides a welcome change. I have enjoyed the CakeBox Challenges over the last few years and still have a couple to complete this winter. However one thing I would like to focus on first is setting up my rolling roads for N gauge, 00 gauge and 0 gauge. I have a particular interest in the Scottish steam era of the 1940s/1950s, mainly the Highland Railway lines and Caledonian Railway.

Having claimed three small timber plinths which my husband made to raise the height of his computer and keyboard and was about to discard, I have decided to create some changeable scenic backdrops with low relief features, perhaps even the occasional complete station model or building, as well. One plinth is 4ins x 24ins and two are 4ins x 12ins. These small ‘rolling road’ dioramas could also be used as a photographic backdrop.

D952FFCE-C367-4356-A252-EBD1F114D4F2.jpeg.e89479ea382cf76692c2ba8906cc3439.jpeg

I plan to have the 00 track and N gauge track laid on one board, with the 0 gauge on a second. For the dual gauge rolling road, a platform would fit over the track not required. I still need to work out the logistics for these small dioramas, but would like to be able to store everything in one or two storage boxes. 

AB74BA09-F5C3-4E8F-B243-69850BB030FD.jpeg.a0e240d5d0271d2f9ad0536afd07c5d9.jpeg

This would be an opportunity to make some fictitious dioramas using my collection of unassembled card kits and backdrops, as well as base others on real locations, building everything from scratch. I have the DCC Concepts Multi Gauge (00 & N) Rolling Road for 4 axles, and still to purchase the 0 gauge version.

Edited by Marly51
Re-upload of images
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...

About time I got back into this! It's been a good while, but day-to-day home DIY and the garden have taken over my life!

Oops...I see my profile image has disappeared and many topic photographs still need to be re-uploaded? I have gathered together my research bits and pieces for the first option of this micro project, so will be posting again shortly.

• Like 1