You tube film of hydraulics at Exeter and Hemyock

D826

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff!

Late Spring/early summer 1969 from the livery styles. D828 Magnificent in decrepit Maroon with yellow panels, had been painted Blue by mid-July 1969. And 831 had got the 2nd version of Blue by early March 1969.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

No sign of any diesel electrics at all. Did that reflect the actual situation at Exeter, or do we suspect cameraman's bias?

And how common was it to see Class 22s on passenger services?

Probably a bit of both in the choice of subjects.

Not that there would be all that many Peaks and 47s knocking about around Exeter in 1969.

I think the D6300s were pretty common on Devon local services.

• Like 1

Yep, a bit of bias I'm sure.  47s would have been around but Peaks started making real inroads a little later.   

6300s, up to Torrington and Meeth 800s,  and Hymeks up to Barnstaple, and Ilfracombe too.  Plus of course Plymouth via Okehampton still a through route.

Cracking images aren't they.

Ah, nostalgia.  Love it.

Best regards all.

Matt W

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Probably a bit of both in the choice of subjects.

Not that there would be all that many Peaks and 47s knocking about around Exeter in 1969.

I think the D6300s were pretty common on Devon local services.

We lived in Exeter until October 1971, and in about 1970/71 on Sundays after attending chapel dad would sometimes take me to visit St Davids Station stabling point on the back of his Honda 50. My faded memories of the time are that were usually three or four class 08s, three or four class 22s, three or four class 42/43. Also perhaps a DMU and the odd Western, class 47, or Peak.

Class 22s had always been common around Exeter, with much of the work on former SR lines. By 1971 there were 10 diagrams for the remaining members of the class which were then allocated to Laira, three of the diagrams worked out of Exeter St Davids SP, and another out of Newton Abbot.

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

I am scratching around my memory a bit here, and thinking a little further West (as one does!) but I think the first 47s on freight in the area were in about 67/68 on an Air Braked long distance china clay service.....(presumably to the Potteries)

Bit vague, but its a bit late! If anyone can fill in the blanks, please do so!

• RMweb Gold

Scanning through the 1968 ROs, the DE workings mentioned are from Branston on the ER to Exeter, a class 6 working from Bristol W.D. (?) or Stoke Gifford, a Class 7 from Manvers Main, and a class 6 from Severn Tunnel Jn, all to Riverside Yard. WR allocated Brush type 4s seem to be employed on the Burngullow - Sittingbourne clayliners, and on the Par - Park Royal freightliner.

By April 1968 DE passenger workings start to be reported, including D65xx locos from Brighton. The car carrier trains to Newton Abbot from LMR, ER and ScR have been DE Type 4 hauled on the WR since the previous year.

Incidently, there are a number of reports of D63xx locos working passenger, often double-heading in lieu of the rostered loco, or because of failures earlier in the day. The normal branch line work seems to go unreported.

11 hours ago, LBRJ said:

I am scratching around my memory a bit here, and thinking a little further West (as one does!) but I think the first 47s on freight in the area were in about 67/68 on an Air Braked long distance china clay service.....(presumably to the Potteries)

Bit vague, but its a bit late! If anyone can fill in the blanks, please do so!

The Bowater slurry tanks and the Par- Park Royal Freightliners were initially Brush turns, as no Hydraulics were fitted with air-brakes at the time. The clay train to the Potteries used vacuum-fitted stock, and was quite often worked by Westerns well into the 1970s.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 15/10/2021 at 17:58, 2ManySpams said:

The maroon D800s looked decidedly worse for wear in the paintwork department! Great film.

It was D828 I felt most sorry for. It looked like someone had been violently sick over the front of it.

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

It was D828 I felt most sorry for. It looked like someone had been violently sick over the front of it.

Page 40 of the Bradford Barton b&w album on the Warships shows a less-than-Magnificent D828 parked at Salisbury with D6532 for company in January 1969 in this deplorable condition - the caption mistakenly credits it with a very worn full yellow end applied at depot level. Nope - depots didn't do that at the time, it was just the scruffy small yellow panel surrounded by exposed primer. I remember it looking like this, and somewhere in my loft is a souvenir, a flake of maroon paint I lifted from it at the time, on its Prestolith filler backing......

That is indeed fabulous footage and the fact that it's only recently come to light is all the more amazing...

Almost seems like BR are "playing trains" with the amount of shunting involving Zulu and Magnificent,and I can't ID the blue pair running in from the west...

As the 22 arrives at Tiverton Jct. with one milk tank,there is a tantalising glimpse of a Warship approaching-wasn't the railway great back then....

As per Halvarras,I remember taking a chunk of blue paint from 825 Intrepid,which happened to be parked in the Pullman shed at OOC around fifty years ago...

I have a chunk of blue paint off D7000 as well, I think I 'obtained' it while the loco was parked on Oxford SP in early 1973.....it's in hiding with the maroon remnant off D828 - I'll find them one day, no doubt while looking for something else......

My "souvenir" from Intrepid has long since been lost. I have part of a makers' plate from D809 Champion,one part went astray during a house move.

With your two paint samples ,getting the shades right on your models should be easy-as you say if you can ever find them!

My set of numbers from D7069 is safely tucked away.....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...